What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad2 software not updating

pjbame

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad2 won't let me update to the 5.1 software, why? I tried to restore then update and no luck.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you trying to update the iPad2 on the device itself, or are you using iTunes?

If it is on the device, I would suggest you connect it to your PC and try using iTunes to update to 5.1. Sometimes large OTA updates can be a problem.
If it is iTunes which is failing, please post the error number and message which iTunes shows when it fails and we'll see if we can help resolve that...

OP
P

pjbame

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Are you trying to update the iPad2 on the device itself, or are you using iTunes?

If it is on the device, I would suggest you connect it to your PC and try using iTunes to update to 5.1. Sometimes large OTA updates can be a problem.
If it is iTunes which is failing, please post the error number and message which iTunes shows when it fails and we'll see if we can help resolve that...

When I try on the iPad it won't connect, and on iTunes it say it is a connection problem.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
pjbame said:
When I try on the iPad it won't connect, and on iTunes it say it is a connection problem.

Sounds like you have an unreliable internet connection. Maybe a firewall / anti-virus is interfering? Consider disabling them temporarily.

You can also try a manual install...

1. Download the correct 5.1 firmware for your device to your desktop from this thread - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html
2. Open iTunes and hold down the shift key when you click "Restore" - This will open up a file selection dialogue box.
3. Choose the firmware file you downloaded in step 1.

That should work, but full failsafe instructions are covered in this guide if you need them - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

s_tevep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Loads of people including me had this problem.

To fix it go to your wifi settings. Click on the blue arrow next to your connection then look for the DNS entry. Delete what is in there and type in 8.8.8.8 then hit the back button.

Try the software update again and it should work. The DNS setting is for Googles servers. Don't ask me why it worKs, it just does.

P.S. It also seemed to speed up my connection......bonus!!!

OP
P

pjbame

iPF Noob
Reaction score
S_tevep I tried your way first, and it worked very quickly. Finally.

Gangoolian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does it mean when it tells me my device is not eligible? I've been trying to unjailbreak my phone for days now - is this also a case of dns settings?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gangoolian said:
What does it mean when it tells me my device is not eligible? I've been trying to unjailbreak my phone for days now - is this also a case of dns settings?

It means you are trying to install a version of IOS which is not the current one OR it means you have redirected your hosts file away from Apple and towards Cydia.

Did you use TinyUmbrealla ever? If so, you need to open it, go to the Advanced tab, and UNTICK "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit".

If you didn't, then make sure you are trying to restore 5.1 and no other version.

This guide is for iPad, but works for iPhone too - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Gangoolian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did use tiny umbrella, will try change things around... Thanks - will let u know if all gets sorted

Most reactions

Latest posts