What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 bypasses proxy settings

FrenchTV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering what anyone here had to say about proxy servers and the iPad 2 because no matter what I use the iPad still shows my local location when I'm in safari looking up my ip.

For example I tried "net shade" for iPad, while I can see the proxys ip when I google my ip. The maps do not, I shut of my cellular singalong to block the 3G card but it still shows my actual location, so was the iPad designed to track the devices regardless of proxy or what?

colek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, that is correct--the iPad only uses proxy settings for Safari and iTunes. All other apps, location services, etc., use anonymous authentication to connect. On our proxy server we had to allow iPad traffic for anonymous users. Then our web-filtering software is able to track Safari traffic per the proxy settings, but the apps and location services are still able to work since they don't even refer to the proxy information.

HTH

Most reactions

Latest posts