What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 being taken over while surfing different sites.

crispy51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some rogue program seems to be taking over my iPad2 while surfing around. it puts up a message saying I've won a competition and I need to press OK to continue. I try to get out of it but it won't let me unless I press home. When I restart the program the message reappears. Has anyone got any suggestions please.
regards,
Crispy51

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is hard to understand how, unless it is jailbroken. I would take it to an Apple genius and have him wipe it.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is hard to understand how, unless it is jailbroken. I would take it to an Apple genius and have him wipe it.

It's also hard to understand how IF it's jailbroken. This stuff doesn't happen on jailbroken devices either! :)

It sounds to me like it is related to the sites you are surfing to. Does it happen everywhere on every site? Sounds like some nasty javascript. Take a screenshot by pressing "home & sleep" and post it up.

Remember, there is no known iPad virus or malware in the wild.

Last edited:

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
crispy51 said:
Some rogue program seems to be taking over my iPad2 while surfing around. it puts up a message saying I've won a competition and I need to press OK to continue. I try to get out of it but it won't let me unless I press home. When I restart the program the message reappears. Has anyone got any suggestions please.
regards,
Crispy51

Well, maybe you DID win a competition???
Ok, just kidding... Using Safari? Do you have the pop-up blocker on?

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

OP
C

crispy51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it hasn't been Jailbroken(if that is the correct term to use). A few of the sites may not be too desirable, but I'll try to get a grab next time it happens.

Regards,
crispy51.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
crispy51 said:
Thanks guys, it hasn't been Jailbroken(if that is the correct term to use). A few of the sites may not be too desirable, but I'll try to get a grab next time it happens.

Regards,
crispy51.

OK, no judgements here, but that's a good indication it's the sites, not the iPad :)

try disabling javascript in Settings when it happens again.

OP
C

crispy51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks ipulmer, and yes I'm using Safari with the blocker on. I'll try to grab a screen.
Regards,
crispy51.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some gaming apps have these advertisements and I have actually had one of these too. Normally you can just tap at the top of it and it will show an X or Skip to get out of it. I then went and bought the full game to be rid of these annoying ads.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Well, leelai, I actually think that this should not be the solution...
Instead the app should be identified and the messages should be deactivated in the settings (do not allow an app to send you push messages)..

OP
C

crispy51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to you all, but things have now moved on.Today I got a full page advert instead of the message box, giving deails of a competition for an iphone. Still not wanted but I could at least get rid of it. I took a screen print, but couldn't work out how to attach it, Ireally am getting past it.Thanks again.Crispy51.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hpulmer said:
Well, leelai, I actually think that this should not be the solution...
Instead the app should be identified and the messages should be deactivated in the settings (do not allow an app to send you push messages)..

Really, never even thought there could be a way. I thought the ads were there because it was a free game. You want to get rid of the ads, you buy the game. I can't even remember, a word game for sure, maybe even Words for Friends. Well at least I did buy that one. Thanks, I'll remember that if I ever see it again.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
crispy51 said:
Thanks to you all, but things have now moved on.Today I got a full page advert instead of the message box, giving deails of a competition for an iphone. Still not wanted but I could at least get rid of it. I took a screen print, but couldn't work out how to attach it, Ireally am getting past it.Thanks again.Crispy51.

What app were you in at the time?

OP
C

crispy51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
What app were you in at the time?

Hi all thanks for all your comments and suggestions, and leelai, I was just surfing using Safari, and since your last message I haven't been able to bring it up again.
Regards,
crispy51

Sent from my iPad using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's a good outcome. You will get ads on different sites also, they're a nuisance for sure

Most reactions

Latest posts