What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad2 and printing webpages

Status
Not open for further replies.

theapcoach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theapcoach.co.uk
I have just recently purchased the ipad2 and not ever using any other Apple product before, I am impressed with the ease that you can add or delet an app.

One thing I would like to know is, do I have to keep downloading apps just to print off?

For example my ipad2 is linked into my network ok, on which I have a wireless Brother printer. When I want to print a webpage off it won't find the printer. However, I can download a Brother printing app for photos and pdfs, but this will not allow me to print off a webpage.

I know some apps can be fairly cheap or free, but cost does add up if you are on a tight budget. Any thoughts?
:)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just recently purchased the ipad2 and not ever using any other Apple product before, I am impressed with the ease that you can add or delet an app.

One thing I would like to know is, do I have to keep downloading apps just to print off?

For example my ipad2 is linked into my network ok, on which I have a wireless Brother printer. When I want to print a webpage off it won't find the printer. However, I can download a Brother printing app for photos and pdfs, but this will not allow me to print off a webpage.

I know some apps can be fairly cheap or free, but cost does add up if you are on a tight budget. Any thoughts?
:)

One easy way around this problem is to convert the web page to PDF and then print that off. Safari can convert a web page to PDF using a so-called 'bookmarklet' - it's a bit of Java script that does all the hard work for you.

Just create a new bookmark in Safari and put the following text in as the bookmark

javascript:pdf_url=location.href;location.href='http://pdfmyurl.com?url='+escape(pdf_url)

(for some reason, when I paste this, it always puts a space in the 'http' - that shouldn't be there, so you'll need to edit that out if you cut and paste this)

When you get to a page that you want to convert to PDF simply select the 'Bookmarklet' bookmark and Safari will convert the page to PDF and you'll be able to save it in either iBooks or another PDF reader - and then you can print it.

Hope that helps - but don't hesitate to get back to us if there are still problems.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just create a new bookmark in Safari and put the following text in as the bookmark

javascript:pdf_url=location.href;location.href='http://pdfmyurl.com?url='+escape(pdf_url)

(for some reason, when I paste this, it always puts a space in the 'http' - that shouldn't be there, so you'll need to edit that out if you cut and paste this)

When you get to a page that you want to convert to PDF simply select the 'Bookmarklet' bookmark and Safari will convert the page to PDF and you'll be able to save it in either iBooks or another PDF reader - and then you can print it.

Tim

{Swiped} thanks, Tim. That should come in handy. :D

OP
T

theapcoach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theapcoach.co.uk
Thanks for the that Tim will give it a whirl. I did look on the Apple website, and thought it naughty of them just have HP printers only compatible with Airprint.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the that Tim will give it a whirl. I did look on the Apple website, and thought it naughty of them just have HP printers only compatible with Airprint.

Yes - sort of - though one could look at it the other way around and say that only HP are currently producing AirPrint compatible printers. But there are lots of workarounds using third-party apps that will let you print to any printer, so that's not usually a restriction.

Tim

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Broadly speaking the Hp printers are the only ones guaranteed to work. I'm not suggesting you go out and buy another wifi brand in the hope that it will, but I have so far managed to get Epson, Lexmark and a non certified £39.99 HP to work wirelessly. Before spending lots of money, it's always worth a little fiddling around. Might just save you a few quid! :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

stevmg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You folks are full of it. Tried doing what you said and NOTHING happens.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You folks are full of it. Tried doing what you said and NOTHING happens.

Things have moved on since this thread was posted. The last contribution was a year ago. You might get better results if you start a new thread and let us know the details of your system and what you are trying to do. If your AirPrint printer is not working, the first thing you might try is downloading the latest drivers.

I'll close this thread now since the information contained is almost certainly out of date. Please start a new thread if you have any questions or comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts