What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing wirelessly through eprint from HP

waves2275

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have installed HP's eprint app and my Deskjet 6980 printer is supported wirelessly. With eprint I can print a webpage and a photo OK from my iPad 2.
But how do I print a document that I have created new in Pages? I think I somehow need to get it into the Saved Documents folder within eprint.
Thanks for any suggestions.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most printer apps can only print files that have been copied to the app via the Open In option from the originating app. Almost all apps have their own file space that can not be accessed by other apps. This is called sandboxing, and is a security feature that can sometimes be a pain to work around. Photos are an exception because they are contained in a database that other apps can access. HP's ePrint app is like that.

Pages does not support the Open In feature, for whatever reason, so it can not copy a file directly to the HP ePrint app. You could mail the photo to yourself, then when it arrives in Mail use Open In there to copy it to the printer app. There are several other ways to print from Pages using the iOS AirPrint method (this is supported in Pages, Mail, and many other apps).

Below is my usual post on Printing, copied because I'm lazy. ;)

Some of HP's printers are directly compatible with AirPrint the iPad. Though the link does not reflect it Canon has recently announced that a few of it's new printers will support AirPrint.

iOS: AirPrint 101

There are a couple ways around this. One is to use an printing app on the iPad. The current favorite is Print and Share. It will work with most wi-fi printers, and those that it won't work with can be made to work with an additional program on the computer.

The second method is to load a program on the computer that will emulate an AirPrint compatible printer. Your computer must be on and have the printer available to it. The cheapest (free) is Airprint Activator. More features can be had with FingerPrint (mac and windows) and Printopia (mac only).

There is a third way. A few printers (mostly HP's again) can be set up with their own email address. PDF attachments can be sent via this address to be printed. The last review I saw said it could be quite slow (big files not recommended), and sometimes the emails got lost and never printed. The advantage was that you could literally send/print from anywhere you have an internet connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts