What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD with 3G capabilities

harshoshanim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Ipad I have has 3G capabilities plus of course WIFI. In the setup of

the IPAD, do I keep both of these ON or do I as a default leave the WIFI

on and turn on the 3G when necessary?

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which do you have to pay for? In the US home broadband is relatively cheap, and faster than 3G by quite a bit.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad will use WiFi in preference to 3G if both are available. It only uses 3G if there's no WiFi. I leave them both switched on. The only 'downside' of doing this is that, if WiFi disappears, the iPad will switch to 3G without warning you.

In the UK the cellular data plans are less restrictive than in many countries so this doesn't really worry me; I have unlimited data for about $30/month.

Tim
Scotland

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will save your battery if you turn 3g off, because it won't be constantly trying to maintain a connecton to 3g, you know, just in case you might need it.:)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Because I've opted for the cheaper 250MB AT&T plan I turn of my 3G when not in use. I leave WiFi on all the time, for connivence around home and quick connect at various hotspots.

Given the long battery life I don't bother tying to conserve it. I'm never away from an outlet that long. Well, a long trip maybe, but I keep a car charger for that.

OP
H

harshoshanim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all the Posts

I have a plan in Israel that allows me 1G for about $12 a month.

I thank everyone for their speedy reply. I suppose after all your responses

I'll keep it off when not in use. Are there any recommendations about

recharging the battery, should a do it every evening, even if I have

let's say 88% of the battery left?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Charge the battery whenever it is convenient. Lithium ion batteries do fine with frequent charges.

It is recommended you let it fully discharge till shutdown every once in a while, say every month or two. Be sure to charge it to 100% after the full discharge. It does not effect your battery life, but it does help keep the battery status calibrated.

Most reactions