What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad waterproof case...

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
It will be great for reading in the Hot Tub. :D

Actually I am waiting for the DryCASE for this exact reason (well, videos and music) :)

They expect it to be out in a couple/few weeks.

DC-17-2.jpg

is it just me or do they have an ipad that has never been seen before, the audio jack is in the center top of the ipad.

ROFL.

Luke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a trendy digital case for my nook.. It was good for reading in the tub....
but it ripped after a couple of months, and came with a few imperfections in the clear plastic... I wouldn't recommend it for ipads...

idigfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will go boating and fishing soon. I will get one too. Thanks folks

lyndabrooks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool. I guess lots of camping and backpacking people would love the waterproof case for their ipad.

Lgchris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a sailboat and am on the sailboat forums, you guys would be surprised by the amount of people with sailboats that use ipads for weather, navigation and entertainment related stuff. It keeps the salt spray off it.

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone used on of these things. I think they would be good for birding at the beach where the air is humid and there might be blowing sand. Just wondering how the response is through the thick plastic. I use ziplok bags now but this would be more durable.

Jonmedic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Otter Box Defender Case

Is that the Otter case in that pic, NL? How waterproof is it?

The Otter Box Defender case while pricy, is a very good protection for expensive toys. I have one for my iPhone 3Gs as well as one for the iPad. Unfortunately no, they are not water proof. Nor do they claim to be. The advertising says they are water and dust resistant. Their big claim to fame is that they protect the devices from everyday bumps and dings. For that they are awesome. I can pack my iPad through airports and out on rig sites with no worries about hurting it. After reading some of the posts on here I am a little concerned about the heat issue though. While I've never had issues with my iPhone I did have a fan pack itself in in my MacBook Pro while it was in a Speck case. I've since discontinued using the Speck as I am unsure if it was the case or just a faulty fan.

JohnWarburton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm waiting for my waterproof case to use when I am sailing and when I am on building sites, surveying in all sorts of crappy weather. There are plenty of scenarios where iPads are used for real world applications that mean exposure to the elements. Why wouldn't you want a waterproof cover in such situations?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you go on an extended bicycle tour, that would be very nice to have so if you got caught out in the rain your electronics don't die. Nothing ridiculous about it, IMO. Just not for everyone.

Note: getting sand on your screen is a sure way to get a scratch. Beach users should have something like this waterproof cover, even if you only use the iPad in the hotel.

Last edited:

Temp31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We're thinking about adding a waterproof case to our product line. Check our store soon! :)

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, since we're on the subject of waterproof cases, LifeProof just announced their iteration for the iPad: The Nuud, available sometime in July. Get this... It has no screen protector! It uses a vacuum-sealed gasket around the screen and an o-ring for the headphone jack. Probably not intended for underwater adventures but I can see this being used in the tub, by the pool, outdoors in the rain (camping, hiking, boot camps). I'd think twice about the beach though. Sand & glass don't play well together. Maybe you can use your screen protector of choice.

But it's nice to see different types of waterproof cases. This allows us to take our iPads places we never thought possible (like a dunking booth).

image-3660338570.jpg

Source:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/21/meet-the-nuud-lifeproofs-new-waterproof-ultra-rugged-ipad-case/

Meet The Nuud: LifeProof’s New Waterproof Ultra-Rugged iPad Case

JORDAN CROOK
Thursday, June 21st, 201213 Comments

LifeProof has made a name for itself as a maker of super rugged iPhone cases that you can take in the ocean, to the beach, or even to the top of Mt. Everest. This thing can survive in some surprising environments. But today, the company has finally answered the call for a LifeProof iPad case, the Nuud. The case vacuums against the glass panel on the iPad so that there’s no front screen protector, allowing for the same tactile interaction we’ve all grown so fond of on Apple’ tablet.

But that’s not to say it loses any of its ruggedness — all the same specs migrate over from the iPhone case, including Military Grade shock and impact protection, waterproof up to 6.6 feet, and resistance against all the elements. Plus, you can plug in your headphones using the O-ring sealed headphone adapter, letting you take waterproof headphones into the pool or shower. (FYI, I would love to take care of the day’s obligatory phone calls in the shower.)

The iPad case comes with four small inserts on each corner to let you attach straps and carry it as a briefcase, alone with port covers that vacuum seal just as tight as the case itself. The camera cover is made of the same type of glass that you would find in a Nikon or Canon DSLR camera, anti-reflective on both sides.

Now, since the iPad has a capacitive display, the screen won’t work when submerged under water. That’s not to say it can’t be submerged — it would be just fine. But that’s not the point of the case. The point is to feel comfortable using your iPad at the pool or in the tub or in the rain. The LifeProof iPhone case, on the other hand, can be used under water to take pictures because of the physical shutter button.

The sheer durability of the iPhone case case along with its usability has let people do some crazy things with their iPhones — things that would make any iPhone addict cringe at the mere thought of them — but just take a look (if you dare).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts