What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad wants to connect to iTunes, and won't stray from this page?

TNL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just bought an iPad, but am not very technologically minded and wondered if someone could help me with a problem I can't seem to solve myself.

The iPad was initialised when I bought it in the States and when I got home to Botswana it was all working fine... I stuck on a screen cover, and the next day turned it on and it came up with a black screen with a picture of a USB connection with an arrow pointing to the iTunes icon.

I figured it wanted to connect to iTunes on my iMac, so did this but nothing happened, it doesn't let me redirect to any other 'page' on the iPad. I don't really want to download iTunes onto my iPad, and I've turned it on and off several times but I can't get away from this USB/iTunes icon screen. I can't get the normal iPad 'home' screen back??

What does it want me to do with iTunes? and how do I get back to my normal iPad screen?

Any help will be much appreciated!
Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just bought an iPad, but am not very technologically minded and wondered if someone could help me with a problem I can't seem to solve myself.

The iPad was initialised when I bought it in the States and when I got home to Botswana it was all working fine... I stuck on a screen cover, and the next day turned it on and it came up with a black screen with a picture of a USB connection with an arrow pointing to the iTunes icon.

I figured it wanted to connect to iTunes on my iMac, so did this but nothing happened, it doesn't let me redirect to any other 'page' on the iPad. I don't really want to download iTunes onto my iPad, and I've turned it on and off several times but I can't get away from this USB/iTunes icon screen. I can't get the normal iPad 'home' screen back??

What does it want me to do with iTunes? and how do I get back to my normal iPad screen?

Thanks

It certainly sounds as though it wants to be connected to iTunes. But a good fix for iPad problems are the two steps below....step 1 isn't really relevant (but I've included it for future reference) but Step 2 - completely switching off your iPad - rather than just putting it to 'sleep', the normal approach, is the usual way to fix these problems.....

The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

OK - get back to us if the problem persists - there are some more things that you can try, but I didn't want to overload you right away.

Hope it all works OK - but - first rule - don't panic - you'll be OK and we'll help you through this problem.....

We're all iPad enthusiasts here so you're going to end up with too *much* help and not too little....

I wish I was in Botswana - I bet it's warmer there than where I am now - the East Coast of Scotland where it is, as usual today, cold, damp, grey, misty, cloudy, wet, windy...though we have had a few nice days recently, so I mustn't complain.....

I should add that there a lot more knowledgeable Forum members than me out there so, if you get any conflicting advice, ignore me.....

Just a point, when you returned to Botswana did you try to sync your iPad on a computer there before this problem occurred? i.e. you tried to sync it on a different computer to the one that you originally used in the US? Potentially this might be a contributing factor - iPads are monogamist and don't like to be paired to more than one PC or Mac. They get confused as to where their loyalties lay....
Tim
Scotland

OP
T

TNL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, thanks Tim for all that info!
I spent the better part of yesterday on the web looking for answers, and I figured out that I didn't have the latest version of iTunes and that's why the computer wouldn't recognise the iPad.

I updated iTunes and registered the iPad, and all seems to be working fine for now.

However, I did not connect the iPad to any computer before the problem started. It was setup on the shop assistant's laptop in Santa Monica, and the only thing I did before the problem started here in Bots was connect it to my wireless network - perhaps it knew it was no longer in the States and decided it needed to be re-initialised or something??

I hope that was the beginning and the end of my iPad problems! As you can imagine, I'm quite a way from the nearest Apple technician, so these forums are a great help - and yes, after traveling extensively I've decided that Botswana has the world's best climate! It will be a 'chilly' 25 deg celsius today...

Thanks again for your help,
Julie

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you have discovered, sync'ing is a bit of nightmare. One of the Forum members has a tag line on his posts that reads "Think before you sync or you may sink" and that just about sums it up.

Several Forum members have questioned the need to continuously 'sync' the iPad. If your iPad 'went down' and you had to restore it

(a) the Apple iTunes store remembers all your app, music and video purchases and you can download them again.
(b) probably you have any photos on your PC
(c) so all you really need to worry about are documents etc that you may have authored on the iPad - I use Apple's cloud storage MobileMe iDisk facility and regularly backup my documents there. MobileMe will also sync your contacts and calendar - so there's now even less of a reason to sync with iTunes. I sync'd Day 1 (no choice) and haven't connected my iPad to my PC directly since. If I want to transfer documents from the PC<->iPad I use the iDisk. DropBox is another cloud storage facility that many people recommend.

Hope all goes well, but don't hesitate to get back in contact if you have any other concerns or observations. We'd love to hear from you.....

Tim
Scotland

Lynda Redman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks

It certainly sounds as though it wants to be connected to iTunes. But a good fix for iPad problems are the two steps below....step 1 isn't really relevant (but I've included it for future reference) but Step 2 - completely switching off your iPad - rather than just putting it to 'sleep', the normal approach, is the usual way to fix these problems.....

The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

OK - get back to us if the problem persists - there are some more things that you can try, but I didn't want to overload you right away.

Hope it all works OK - but - first rule - don't panic - you'll be OK and we'll help you through this problem.....

We're all iPad enthusiasts here so you're going to end up with too *much* help and not too little....

I wish I was in Botswana - I bet it's warmer there than where I am now - the East Coast of Scotland where it is, as usual today, cold, damp, grey, misty, cloudy, wet, windy...though we have had a few nice days recently, so I mustn't complain.....

I should add that there a lot more knowledgeable Forum members than me out there so, if you get any conflicting advice, ignore me.....

Just a point, when you returned to Botswana did you try to sync your iPad on a computer there before this problem occurred? i.e. you tried to sync it on a different computer to the one that you originally used in the US? Potentially this might be a contributing factor - iPads are monogamist and don't like to be paired to more than one PC or Mac. They get confused as to where their loyalties lay....
Tim
Scotland
Hi there, I am having the same problem as Julie I have tried all the you suggested but it just wont budge from the page showing the USB connection and the iTunes logo PLEASE help Lynn

Kim143

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks

Tim
Scotland
Hi ... I'm new here! I just got my Ipad 2 and am experiencing the same thing ... it will not budge from the Picture of the cord pointing to the Itunes Logo. This happened right out of the box :( No matter what I do it will not turn on. I've tried resetting it. I plug it into my MacBook and open Itunes and nothing happens. Do I have to take it to the apple store really? :confused: Thank you ... Kim

ianmarran

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi ... I'm new here! I just got my Ipad 2 and am experiencing the same thing ... it will not budge from the Picture of the cord pointing to the Itunes Logo. This happened right out of the box :( No matter what I do it will not turn on. I've tried resetting it. I plug it into my MacBook and open Itunes and nothing happens. Do I have to take it to the apple store really? :confused: Thank you ... Kim

Hi Kim, did you get this sorted out? I have just bought an iPad and am having the same problems :( My excitement of getting an iPad was squashed in a second!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kim, did you get this sorted out? I have just bought an iPad and am having the same problems :( My excitement of getting an iPad was squashed in a second!

Make sure you are using latest iTunes, 10.5 on your PC, and try different USB ports. If you are on Windows, ensure you give Windows enough time to load the iPad device drivers. Don't interrups the process by disconnecting the iPad. It must make a good connection to iTunes at least once before it can be used.

AJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent people at this forum. Thank you Tim. One more question...

As you have discovered, sync'ing is a bit of nightmare. One of the Forum members has a tag line on his posts that reads "Think before you sync or you may sink" and that just about sums it up.

Several Forum members have questioned the need to continuously 'sync' the iPad. If your iPad 'went down' and you had to restore it

(a) the Apple iTunes store remembers all your app, music and video purchases and you can download them again.
(b) probably you have any photos on your PC
(c) so all you really need to worry about are documents etc that you may have authored on the iPad - I use Apple's cloud storage MobileMe iDisk facility and regularly backup my documents there. MobileMe will also sync your contacts and calendar - so there's now even less of a reason to sync with iTunes. I sync'd Day 1 (no choice) and haven't connected my iPad to my PC directly since. If I want to transfer documents from the PC<->iPad I use the iDisk. DropBox is another cloud storage facility that many people recommend.

Hope all goes well, but don't hesitate to get back in contact if you have any other concerns or observations. We'd love to hear from you.....

Tim
Scotland

Tim,
Thank you very much for all the information and help that I see you sharing with other forum members. I have the exact same problem as my IPad is stuck on the screen showing ITunes/USB screen. i have gone through all the steps you mentioned but to no avail. I have Pages etc on my IPad and a whole bunch of documents but am afraid if I have to "restore" all my documents will be erased that i have not backed up. What should I do to avoid erasing the documents if the screen is stuck at ITunes?

Again, thank you for any help. And again, thanks a bunch Tim.

Nowthen girl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 1 and I have the same problem. I foolishly let me nephew play Angry Birds and left the room. when I came back, it was stuck on the iTunes with the USB cord pointing to it. I called Apple but they wanted $100 to fix it. I don't have that kind of money so am really hoping some kind soul will help me fix this problem. Should I plus it into my computer and try to download the latest version of iTunes?

I'd really appreciate the help!
Kris

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds as if you do need to restore that iPad. This will make it as new, fresh out of the box.

Yes, you will need the latest version of iTunes, which you'll need to download and then install it before you connect the iPad to it.

Once your iTunes is up-to-date, then plug the iPad in. iTunes should automatically recognize the iPad and prompt you to restore it. Once it has been restored, you'll have the option to "restore from backup." This will put your iPad back to normal.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts