What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad, want it or leave it

Bruce S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 3g iPad to use in my motor home when I am on the road. I wanted it to do 3 tasks: -GPS navigator, -Internet when on the road, & -backup camera. The map app. in the iPad sucks, hopefully if I purchase TomTom app I will have a good GPS navigator. As for internet on the road #$%& the only provider where I am is “rogersâ€, I had planed to go to Nigra falls through the U.S. next summer and “rogers†plans has no roaming. As for the back-up camera, it looks like I need a router installed in my motor home so that the iPad will provide a view of what the camera sees.

Being an older person I am not into music. I find that “iTunes†is a big pain-in-the-but to use. Attention “APPLE†there is more to life than “iTunesâ€, a user friendly syncing program would be appreciated (it’s a real turn off when the first thing requested is my credit card #).

Bruce

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
First, if you want to check out apps for mapping, look at the MotionX suite of apps. I have MotionX GPS and MotionX GPS Drive. Both will let you download maps for offline use along your routes.

Second - you're stuck with iTunes. You will have to learn to live together. The good news is you dont have to sync to get app updates, only OS updates. Once you touch down and do the first sync to activate the iPad, you dont have to use iTunes again, with iOS updates being the exception.

Third - yeah, there will be quite a few hoops to jump through to get a back-up camera. a Wifi Access Point with a Wifi Camera may be the easiest way to go.

Fourth - can't really help with the 3G issue.

OP
Bruce S

Bruce S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my thanks for the replies

- I will check out motionX. I was sort of leaning towards TomTom because I have a TomTom navigator: the maps seem up to date, I can get points of interest that show rv parks, and I was hoping the iPad app can advise the current traffic situation the same as the gps navigator. Do you know if motionX can do the same?
- I got a foscam F189009w wireless/wired camera and have been trying it out with foscam's app. I screwed up in that the camera has only a 22 degree viewing angle, great for watching what the neighbors across the street are doing in their house, terrible for a backup camera. Also I will have to install a wi-fi capable router in my motorhome to use it. I have been thinking of getting a foscam F18909W which has a view angle 67 degrees. If I have the iPad setup as a gps navigator a couple of tap will give a 9" view for backing.
- AT& T solves the 3G connection. Thanks.

Bruce

Last edited:

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Glad to see you got your issues worked out, I had lurked this thread earlier and was going to post a response, but you got it working!

Hope all is well in the future!

FB

Most reactions

Latest posts