What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs. Sony Reader?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Wife and I got iPad, and sold our Sony readers. We much prefer the reading experience on the iPad. I use iBooks, good reader, Kindle app, and Stanza on the iPad .... All work good.

DanaTheEwok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had a Sony reader (for three days) and then a B & N Nook, and now the IPAD.

I did not like the Sony and found both types of Sony conviluted to work with. I have had the Nook since Feb. and it is OK, but I much prefer the IPAD to read.

Sony if very proprietary and after buying the books you cannot transfer them to anything else.

I transferred my Nook books to the IPAD and found them to be grainey and not enjoyable to read on the IPAD. I have purchased some Kindle books and some ibooks books and found the print to be much better on the IPAD.

Just my opinion. Bye the way, I am blind in one eye, so being able to enlarge on the IPAD has been wonderful.

DanaTheEwok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had a Sony reader (for three days) and then a B & N Nook, and now the IPAD.

I did not like the Sony and found both types of Sony conviluted to work with. I have had the Nook since Feb. and it is OK, but I much prefer the IPAD to read.

Sony if very proprietary and after buying the books you cannot transfer them to anything else.

I transferred my Nook books to the IPAD and found them to be grainey and not enjoyable to read on the IPAD. I have purchased some Kindle books and some ibooks books and found the print to be much better on the IPAD.

Just my opinion. Bye the way, I am blind in one eye, so being able to enlarge on the IPAD has been wonderful.

PS. I am giving my Nook to my daugther as she will travel to Greece and two other countries this summer with the People to People teens.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I am also somewhat visually impaired, and the iPad is the best reading experience of my life. If I had something like this 30 years ago, I would have done better in college :)

dr.kohli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I am new and have a question. I just sold my Sony Reader and odered iPad. I have about 50 EPUB books in the sony library app. I use Mac with Leopard. How can I transfer my books in to iPad? I dont find any folder which includes all my books. From the Reader library it wont let me transfer to my user account folder my "my books".

Robertt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am concerned about selling the Sony Reader in favor of the ipad then having trouble getting the books I want and/or not being able to use the books I have already purchased from Sony.

I can't comment on the availability of ebooks across platforms (except for Kindle/Amazon). But the iPad and ebook readers really address two different markets. If all a person wants to do is read books, my opinion is that something like the Kindle or Sony is the better choice. But if you want something MUCH more versatile and willing to settle for second-choice book readability (just my opinion, folks), the iPad comes out on top.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
The iPad allows you to buy books from several sources, not like your Sony which limited the format you could use.

iBooks for Apple books, and any non-DRM epub
kindle app for Kindle books (you can buy directly from the iPad, and transfer)
Kobo app for epubs from Kobe (may work with your Sony books, not sure)
goodreader app for PDF or Word doc books
eReader app for books from Fictionwise or ereader.com (can buy from iPad)
Barnes and Noble app for Nook books

All the apps are free, and with the exception of Goodreader all will allow you to buy or transfer directly from your iPad. Goodreader uses drag and drop from within iTunes, or cloud apps like dropbox.

I am not sure about your Sony books though. I had a Sony reader (sold it when I got the iPad) and know their DRM is Adobe Digital Editions. Kobo uses the same DRM, so if there was a way to get the books into Kobo App it might work. I remove the DRM from all my books, so it was not an issue for me.

Hope that helps :)

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I have done a bit of research on this, and at this time I see no way to read your Sony books with the DRM, on the iPad. Perhaps someday Sony will make an app, but Sony does not seem to be the progressive company it once was....

thehatguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.greatthreads.com
Barnes & Noble iPad app. now available!

Just downloaded this.

Fantastic!

I also downloaded it to my PC.

One nice thing... the Sony reader can also open the B&N books.

My wife takes her Sony reader on trips, doesn't want to take
the iPad on a business trip, so now we pay one price to read
on both devices!

A lot of page customization features.:D

John

Most reactions

Latest posts