What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs iPhone capacity

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks like Photo Stream does limit the size. Panoramics that can be up to 28MP on the iPhone 5 all came in at or under 8MP when copied to Photo Stream.

Sounds like the thing to do is save from photo stream and delete original.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you don't want the original.

I kind of like having a copy of the full sized file; which means I'm going to have to stop relying on Photo Stream when copying pictures to the computer. Not that I do that very often. I usually copy via a cable to Aperture.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you don't want the original.

I kind of like having a copy of the full sized file; which means I'm going to have to stop relying on Photo Stream when copying pictures to the computer. Not that I do that very often. I usually copy via a cable to Aperture.

That makes sense. I do similar in reverse. I process RAW images from DSLR in LR and send via email or SD card to iPad.

I just need to figure out what is eating up space on iPad. I only have about 300 photos and 75 some apps and use about 7 GB. I noticed we do have about 8 or 9 color magazines on there through Nook app. Wonder if they could be the hog?? I use zinio on my photo magazines and think it does pretty good job of saving space. But I remove from iPad once read.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't remember if it's been mentioned, but you can see how much storage space each app is taking by going to Settings > General > Usage. The top 10 apps will be shown. You can see the rest by tapping Show all Apps.

Edit: Fixed path to settings.

Last edited:
OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't remember if it's been mentioned, but you can see how much storage space each app is taking by going to Settings > Usage. The top 10 apps will be shown. You can see the rest by tapping Show all Apps.

I did not know that. Thanks.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oops, that should have been Settings > General > Usage: In case you were getting frustrated looking for it. :eek:

Got it thanks. And assume when it says "nook" 225 mb that includes the magazines downloaded. Or do you think that is just the app?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you tap on the app it will break it down for you between app size (shown next to the icon) and Documents and Data.

Hold in mind Documents and Data may also contain data essential to the operation of the app, which is why it is almost never empty.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you tap on the app it will break it down for you between app size (shown next to the icon) and Documents and Data.

Hold in mind Documents and Data may also contain data essential to the operation of the app, which is why it is almost never empty.

Wow. Thanks so much. I was worried it was my photo, but good news is it appears to be apps. So wont change much as I add photos.

Based on my current average photo size, a 1000 photos would only take up about 2GB.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad to help.

Glad you asked the question. I hadn't noticed that the Photos actually get broken down into camera roll, albums, and photo stream. Now I know how to answer the question "How much space on my iPad is Photo Stream using?" :D

I'm pretty sure this is new with iOS 6.

Most reactions

Latest posts