What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs iPhone capacity

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a way to move a photo on iPhone or iPad to Photo Stream??

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is there a way to move a photo on iPhone or iPad to Photo Stream??

Not in the Photos app. But if you have a photo editor like iPhoto you can open a photo then save it back to the the camera roll, which will also put it in Photo Stream. You can then delete it from the camera roll if desired. It will stay in the Photo Stream for the usual span of 30 days or 1000 photos.

Round about, but if you only have a few photos it works well enough.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, I believe I saw an article today that said the new iPad stores synced photos at a larger size, so that you can take advantage of the retina display. I could be wrong about that, and I can't find the article at the moment.

Newer apps are also going to take a lot more room, because they contain retina (bigger) resources. This will affect iPad and universal apps. The impact on the iPhone will be smaller because some of its apps will be iPhone specific, and not contain support for the iPad's retina display.

This has been the trend of computers from the beginning. More memory and better hardware begets larger apps begets the need for more memory and better hardware.

Apps size is now the biggest gripe from iPad 1 and 2 owners. They are forced fed with all the apps updates to accommodate features that they don't have.

I'd be pretty pissed off too if I haven't got my new iPad.

tedgel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64mb ipad which has 4000+ full size photos plus 30 apps. Still have almost 40 unused GB. Should be plenty of room for you.
Ted

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Azonie
Have you looked on iTunes as to how much space your photos are taking vs your apps when you sync?
I have about 600 photos on my iPad and they take up about 2gb of space. I have the same number on my iPhone and they take up 1gb of space. iTunes resizes/shrinks the photos when syncing. Perhaps iTunes doesn't resize as much on the larger iPad than on the iPhone?

I don't know anything about using the iCloud to view photos, so no advice there.

Tell me more about how iTunes resizes/shrinks the photos. Don't think I have even plugged iPad into iTunes yet.
How do I sync with iTunes without getting iPhone info on iPad. Also if I have connected before how do I get iTunes updated with what's been added to iPad without risk of losing anything on iPad. Example if I have 25 photos on iTunes from iPad but now have 216 photos on iPad. Don't want to lose photos that are now on iPad. In other words sync and putting the 25 from iTunes on iPad

Here is comparison of how storage is being used on iPad and iPhone.
iPad - 32 GB model (28 usable) now with 21.8 GB available. Here is what I have on iPad. 5 songs, 216 photos, 75 apps.
iPhone - 16 GB model (13.5 usable) with 6.9 GB available. Here is what I have on iPhone. 3 songs, 641 photos, 160 apps.

Appears photos are taking up a lot more space on iPad vs iPhone.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of which is why our two iPads are 64 GB and our iPhones are as well. I keep my photos on a 500 GB GoFlex Satellite WIFI external drive. I have 360 GB of photos.

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
azonie said:
Tell me more about how iTunes resizes/shrinks the photos. Don't think I have even plugged iPad into iTunes yet.
How do I sync with iTunes without getting iPhone info on iPad. Also if I have connected before how do I get iTunes updated with what's been added to iPad without risk of losing anything on iPad. Example if I have 25 photos on iTunes from iPad but now have 216 photos on iPad. Don't want to lose photos that are now on iPad. In other words sync and putting the 25 from iTunes on iPad

Here is comparison of how storage is being used on iPad and iPhone.
iPad - 32 GB model (28 usable) now with 21.8 GB available. Here is what I have on iPad. 5 songs, 216 photos, 75 apps.
iPhone - 16 GB model (13.5 usable) with 6.9 GB available. Here is what I have on iPhone. 3 songs, 641 photos, 160 apps.

Appears photos are taking up a lot more space on iPad vs iPhone.

I don't know how iTunes resizes the photo, I only noticed the resizing when I shrunk photos to save space on my iPhone and when I saw that no space was saved, I read somewhere that iTunes resizes the photo.

The iPad and iPhone can be synced separately in iTunes and should show up as two separate devices in iTunes.

As to getting your photos from your iPad to iTunes, it depends on where the photos are stored on your iPad and whether or not you have a Mac or PC. If they are in the camera roll, then I believe iTunes will not sync them. One way to be safe is to get a Dropbox account and save your photos there, that way if something goes wrong you will have a backup. You can also copy the files from Dropbox to your computer and not worry about plugging your devices into your computer.

If you don't use Dropbox to copy, and if they are on your camera roll and you have a PC, plug your iPad into your PC and the camera roll should show up as an external drive, you can then use the file manager to copy the files to where you want them. If you have a Mac, I believe you will have to use iPhoto to import the photos from your camera roll. You can also set the preferences in iTunes to prevent automatic syncing if you are worried about connecting to your computer.

I am pretty good with iTunes, but not an expert, so be careful in following any advice from me.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Settings now says I have 236 photos and 76 apps. So added 20 photos and 1 app.

Available space gone from 21.8GB to 21.6GB.

I found that the app added is just over 20 MB. So bottom line used another 200MB.
If the app was 20 MB, that leaves 180MB for 20 photos. That is 9MB per photo. Seem high and if I open in iPhoto they are all showing at less than 1MB.

Just don't know what I am missing here.

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OP never told which iPhone he/she has. Photos taken with 3GS take way less space than ones taken with 4x. Possibly the OS version has something to do with the space usage too.

But in general, the apps do differ in size if they're for iPhone or iPad. If the OS is the same in both devices and the phone is v4x, that'll be the main reason.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The OP never told which iPhone he/she has. Photos taken with 3GS take way less space than ones taken with 4x. Possibly the OS version has something to do with the space usage too.

But in general, the apps do differ in size if they're for iPhone or iPad. If the OS is the same in both devices and the phone is v4x, that'll be the main reason.

Didn't realize that most photos on both iPad and iPhone were taken with iPhone 4. Some now are taken with iPhone 5. I have gone to 5 and wife has 4. All devices are on iOS 6.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The size of a photo depends, as they are jpgs or pngs and are a compressed format. And the size of video depends. Some are 1080 in resolution and the longer they are, the more space they take. I think the iPad 3, iPhone 4S and 5 all take 1080 video. No one can give you precise info on space, but 9 MB for an image is not unheard of, but most will be a good bit smaller too.

I don't believe iTunes resizes photos, at least not without asking. I think the Mail app will resize photos when you are emailing them to people, but it lets you choose the size. My understanding is that photos shared via the photostream are shrunk in size before being sent to a mobile devices, but they are stored in full size on a PC or Mac. So if you want to use a photo a full resolution get it from the camera roll on the device it was taken on or from a PC or a Mac that has photostream enabled. If you use a photo from the photostream on a device which didn't take it, it will be a reduced size version.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .I don't believe iTunes resizes photos, at least not without asking. . .

iTunes does optimize photos for viewing on the iPad. In many cases that means downsizing larger photos. I can not find any direct information on the issue, but this is in the "Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder" help page.

Resolution
The iPod Photo Cache stores the photos that are optimized for display on your iPod, iPad, or iPhone. The location of this folder depends on the syncing options you select. In iTunes, if you change the selection in the “Sync Photos From” pop-up menu, a new iPod Photo Cache folder will be created (and the previous folder will remain).

From experience on an iPad 2, 5MP images synced through iTunes, when emailed back (at original size) were smaller than the original. I image the iPad 3 syncs the image at a larger size, for better viewing on the retina display. I haven't checked recently, so I don't know what the difference is, but I imagine it is proportionate to the difference in screen resolutions across all iOS devices.

The takeaway: Do not depend on synced photos as backup for the originals. You don't know if they are of the same quality.

Photos synced from an Camera or SD card follow different rules. The original image size is preserved.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just out of pure animal curiosity, why store 500-1000 photos on an iPad? Keep a few there as a slide show for yourself of to show off, the rest are in your 500 GB wifi GoFlex Satellite Pro HDD. Or in your computer. Ditto music, that's why you have an iPhone or iPod. I have 4,000 songs in my iPhone, none at all in my iPad. 90 books in iTunes, four on my iPad. The iPad is not a long term storage device. Both my iPhone and iPad are 64 GB devices to give me room to grow. Apps take up a lot of room, ditto movies.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still trying to figure out why I seem to be using so much more storage space on iPad vs iPhone with less photos an stuff on iPad.
This is interesting. I took some photos with iPhone and sent via shared photo stream to iPad. When I open image on iPhone in iPhoto it says size is 2.9 MB. When I open on iPad in iPhoto from the shared photo stream it says 736KB. That's a big difference. And if anything I thought the version on iPad would be larger.

Could there:
1. Be something wrong with way iPad is sensing of determining size?
2. Does sending via shared photo stream reduce size?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Looks like Photo Stream does limit the size. Panoramics that can be up to 28MP on the iPhone 5 all came in at or under 8MP when copied to Photo Stream.

Specifically, I took a panoramic on the iPhone that is 24MP in the camera roll when viewed via iPhoto. The same image viewed in iPhoto from the Photo Stream was only 6.5MP. There was no further size reduction when viewing it on the iPad 3. So all the shrinking comes from the transfer to Photo Stream.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts