What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs iPhone capacity

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am s new iPad owner and a little concerned about how much storage capacity I seem to be using with very little stored so far.

On my 16 GB iPhone I have 4 songs 22 videos ( not movies but short clips taken with iPhone). 523 photos, 149 apps. Of the 13.8 GB I still 7.7GB left. That seems like excellent use of space.

But I am concerned about the use of space on the New iPad. I have a 32GB version which has 28.0 GB usable with 25.5 BG available. And all I have stored so far is 32 photos and 37 apps. Afraid by time I get 500 - 1000 photos on the iPad it will be full?

Anyone know how many MB the average New iPad photo takes up?

Anyone got info on how many photos apps they have on the 32GB version on New iPad?

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
azonie said:
I am s new iPad owner and a little concerned about how much storage capacity I seem to be using with very little stored so far.

On my 16 GB iPhone I have 4 songs 22 videos ( not movies but short clips taken with iPhone). 523 photos, 149 apps. Of the 13.8 GB I still 7.7GB left. That seems like excellent use of space.

But I am concerned about the use of space on the New iPad. I have a 32GB version which has 28.0 GB usable with 25.5 BG available. And all I have stored so far is 32 photos and 37 apps. Afraid by time I get 500 - 1000 photos on the iPad it will be full?

Anyone know how many MB the average New iPad photo takes up?

Anyone got info on how many photos apps they have on the 32GB version on New iPad?

iPad apps usually take up more storage but for your question about the photos I have no idea

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also use iCloud or Dropbox or any other file storage service to store your photos remotely to save space.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can also use iCloud or Dropbox or any other file storage service to store your photos remotely to save space.

I do use iCloud. But thought that only acted as a Backup for photos??

How do I use iCloud to store photos remotely and still be able to view on iPad or iPhone.

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do use iCloud. But thought that only acted as a Backup for photos??

How do I use iCloud to store photos remotely and still be able to view on iPad or iPhone.

Perhaps I am not understanding what you are wanting to do, but you would just download the photos you wished to view from iCloud to your iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can store photos online and look, on Dropbox and such, unless you want the photos on your iPad.

I switched from iPhone 4 to 4S so I could have 64GB on phone, too, woot.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Perhaps I am not understanding what you are wanting to do, but you would just download the photos you wished to view from iCloud to your iPad.

Still new at Apple thing so sure it is me. But last time I went to computer and viewed iCloud I didn't see anywhere to view photos just email and contactss

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Under the iCloud settings do you have Photo Stream turned on? If this is not setup like this on your iPad then it will not save your photos to iCloud.

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Azonie
Have you looked on iTunes as to how much space your photos are taking vs your apps when you sync?
I have about 600 photos on my iPad and they take up about 2gb of space. I have the same number on my iPhone and they take up 1gb of space. iTunes resizes/shrinks the photos when syncing. Perhaps iTunes doesn't resize as much on the larger iPad than on the iPhone?

I don't know anything about using the iCloud to view photos, so no advice there.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure if this is correct observation yet, but it appears apps are probably ( on the average) taking up more space than photos.

Looks like average photo is 1 to 3 GB????

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Under the iCloud settings do you have Photo Stream turned on? If this is not setup like this on your iPad then it will not save your photos to iCloud.

Photo Stream is not a good choice for photo backups. It intended as a way for you to easily see all your recent photos on all devices, and save them to that device if desired. Photos are only saved for 30 days or 1000 photos. Older photos are bumped after one of those two limits are exceeded.

There is not long term photo storage on the iPad at this time.

Well, not entirely true. The new iPhotos app will let you create and share journals (pages of photos). Those are stored in iCloud.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, I believe I saw an article today that said the new iPad stores synced photos at a larger size, so that you can take advantage of the retina display. I could be wrong about that, and I can't find the article at the moment.

Newer apps are also going to take a lot more room, because they contain retina (bigger) resources. This will affect iPad and universal apps. The impact on the iPhone will be smaller because some of its apps will be iPhone specific, and not contain support for the iPad's retina display.

This has been the trend of computers from the beginning. More memory and better hardware begets larger apps begets the need for more memory and better hardware.

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally prefer Dropbox over iCloud anyway. Give it a try, you get 2 GB free. If it works out, you can always purchase additional storage, or you may find that 2 GB is enough for what you need.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I personally prefer Dropbox over iCloud anyway. Give it a try, you get 2 GB free. If it works out, you can always purchase additional storage, or you may find that 2 GB is enough for what you need.

Can you use Dropbox and still use iCloud without trouble? Could you use Dropbox and limit it to just photos.

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you use Dropbox and still use iCloud without trouble? Could you use Dropbox and limit it to just photos.

Yes, just download the dropbox app. I set mine up by downloading their software to my desktop, but I think you may be able to do it from the app as well. You can put whatever file you want in your dropbox. On a desktop, it appears just like any other file folder, drop in what ever files you want and it syncs it.

Most reactions

Latest posts