What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs HP Slate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pcunix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
aplawrence.com
I see the HP NotPad as a lousy Netbook for. Small screen, not so great battery life (you will need to always have a charger with you), and if they just port over apps without rewriting fir the device, lousy apps.

The Android version will be better than the Windows, but fragmenting the market like that won't help sales (people will be confused about what to buy) and absolutely won't encourage developers.

Silly me-too product.

lifevicarious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see the HP NotPad as a lousy Netbook for. Small screen, not so great battery life (you will need to always have a charger with you), and if they just port over apps without rewriting fir the device, lousy apps.

The Android version will be better than the Windows, but fragmenting the market like that won't help sales (people will be confused about what to buy) and absolutely won't encourage developers.

Silly me-too product.

I am not a fan of the salte but I have a feeling the battery life will get better. If they are running webos they don't need the horsepower previously disclosed. I think it will be very close spec wise to the iPad with the exception of camera and running webos.

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started with the original Palm PDA and stayed with them until I dumped my Treo 720P for my first iPhone. I was a definite fan until then and am still mildly interested to see how it might play out if HP redesigns the Slate to run off of WebOS. They'll have a tough go of it at least partially because Apple has a huge jump on iPhone/Pad developers out there. Still, you gotta remember the "app" concept was really made somewhat mainstream by Palm and their various Palm OS renditions. Sure it was less structured than Apple's app store but folks were cranking out some pretty decent apps for my Palm Treo back in the day. I know for a fact that there were Office suites for Palm waaaay before iPhone :)

HP was smart to dump the Winblows based Slate. As most have said, it would have ended up being a netbook with a touchscreen at best. Apple got it right and has taken a mobile OS to run the iPad rather than try to "force" OSX to run in a tablet with a targeted 10 battery life and 1.5 lb weight.

With Apple, WebOS, and maybe Andriod in the mix, we the consumer should only benefit from the inevitable battle to "stay ahead" that will ensue. In its hey day, Palm had little competition thus their OS and device designs failed to progress ..... and look where that got them .....

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm going to take another line on this. Personally I LOVE Windows 7. I can't imagine a scenario when I would ever switch to MacOS. I use Windows 7 every day and it does things that I couldn't do on an iDevice.

But windows 7 just wouldn't feel right on a touch-enabled tablet. In my limited testing and in the videos I've seen of W7 on a touch device, the almost-but-not-quite-imperceptible lag makes the whole experience seem poor.

It could be that the Windows Phone 7 could be competition for the iPad, but the undisputed fact is that right now, the iPad is the best by far.

Microsoft Courier and Slate are both canceled. I suspect that the Product Managers took a careful look at them side-by-side with the iPad and said, "back to the drawing board".

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's nice to see someone say they love Windows 7 on here! I too, really like it and love my new touch screen Windows 7 computer. I have bought two iMacs in the past, one years ago, one last year, and I always go back to my Win PC. I just prefer the OS and being able to get any software I want instead of a limited selection. Definitely not an Apple fanboi, but I do love my Ipad, and think the OS is perfect for it.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
The Palm Pre was to be a "iPhone killer", but like all the others Web OS failed. My wife has a Pre, so I am very familiar with the OS. If Web OS was successful, Palm would have never sold out. fact is like all the other iPhone and iPod killers it failed.

So now they bring it to a copy cat iPad (ie iPad killer) and you honestly think it will succeed? I do welcome competition, but in the real world Web OS and HP/old school Palm is a loser.....

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
@cherhall. Count me in as a Windows 7 fan. Macs, for me, are lame compared to the power and options of the Windows environment. I tried Macs, and they are not for me. It's as simple as different strokes, for different folks. There is no "best" or "right" one, there is only what works for you!

But, for me, in the Moble/portable computing world..... At this point in time, and for the at least near future.... Apple rules!

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless HP sells MILLIONS and MILLIONS of units, why would any developer bother to develop anything for WebOS when iPhone OS and Android are way ahead of it? There are already 51M+ iPhone OS devices out there, that is a huge head start (i don't know how many android devices are out there). At most they would be ports of existing iPhone and Android apps but developers aren't even keen on that.

My original point doesn't change, the fact that this now truly is a iPad knockoff with a couple bells and whistles spells doom for it. A full OS is what many want (I personally don't) and they apparently are deciding to take that away.

As far as the smartphone market goes the devices typically get turned around every 2 years if they last that long so the number currently in use is not an issue for HP.

The iPad just got released and will have a 5 to 7 million unit leap over the HP tablet. Not insurmountable by any means and since the longest warranty that you can get from Apple on an iPad is 2 years from the date of purchase, I would look for those to be replace possibly in a 3 year cycle.

It is a new day.

lifevicarious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as the smartphone market goes the devices typically get turned around every 2 years if they last that long so the number currently in use is not an issue for HP.

Sure, if you assume that no one buys the same phone again. But given the investment in apps and the typical apple customer, if you think the current installed base is not an issue, you couldn't be more wrong. And don't worry about hte 7 million and growing they sell per quarter either (excluding iPads).

Oh, and my earlier number was way off, there are actually ~90 million iPhone OS devices sold. Good luck HP.

http://www.tipb.com/2010/04/08/50-m...on-ipod-touches-85-million-iphone-os-devices/

The iPad just got released and will have a 5 to 7 million unit leap over the HP tablet. Not insurmountable by any means and since the longest warranty that you can get from Apple on an iPad is 2 years from the date of purchase, I would look for those to be replace possibly in a 3 year cycle.

Again, the exact same thing. How many Apple customers switch? I'm not saying none do, but the vast majority of apple customers are extremely loyal. They don't pay a premium just because they can, they pay a premium because they believe the

It is a new day.

You're calling it a "new day" based on vaporware?! Wow, quite an optimist. It's not like any competitors came out with an MP3 player or a smart phone in the past that beat out Apple's "inferior" product, why do you expect things to change now? There was a reason Palm failed, I'm certainly not expecting a company mostly known for printers and certainly not known for software to turn that around.

Last edited:

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're calling it a "new day" based on vaporware?! Wow, quite an optimist. It's not like any competitors came out with an MP3 player or a smart phone in the past that beat out Apple's "inferior" product, why do you expect things to change now? There was a reason Palm failed, I'm certainly not expecting a company mostly known for printers and certainly not known for software to turn that around.

You need to look at the big picture. HP will not be releasing a Tablet until sometime next year now. The justice department is about to go on a mission to destroy Big Brother Apple in an Anti-Trust witch hunt.

The big one: by this time next year the economic conditions in the U.S. will have deteriorated greatly and the latest electronic gadget will not have anywhere near the importance that it has to the U.S. consumer today. Due to the amount of exposure that both Apple and HP have to the U.S. consumer they will both be hurting.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know the economy was much better when (for example) the Xbox 360 and PS3 came out, yet the iPad, even in our poor economy now, still trumped the 1st month sales figures of both those devices.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right, economy doesn't matter, people will still buy stuff.

Sonny is just grasping at every straw he can to badmouth the iPad.

lifevicarious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to look at the big picture. HP will not be releasing a Tablet until sometime next year now. The justice department is about to go on a mission to destroy Big Brother Apple in an Anti-Trust witch hunt.

For someone who apparently doesn't like Apple, you spend a lot of time on a board dedicated to an Apple product.

As far as the anti-trust, nothing will come of it. The worst thing that will happen is they will open up the sale of apps to other players which will be bad for the consumer (from a stability perspective). I find it ridiculous that people even question apple from an anti-trust perspective given there are tons of options and they don't have a majority market share in any of their products.

The big one: by this time next year the economic conditions in the U.S. will have deteriorated greatly and the latest electronic gadget will not have anywhere near the importance that it has to the U.S. consumer today. Due to the amount of exposure that both Apple and HP have to the U.S. consumer they will both be hurting.

Interesting, just a couple of posts back you were saying how the lead was not insurmountable. Now you are stating the economic conditions will be so bad in the U.S. that gadgets won't be important. So which one is it? Is HP going to overcome a lead or is no one going to care about gadgets? What is your next argument going to be? Aliens are going to come down and require everyone to buy a Slate?

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The Obama administration isn't that stupid that they would go after Apple because of Adobe.

Adobe is the one you could prove a claim of noncompetitive behavior as Adobe dominates the web with their proprietary Flash by their own admission.

Developers are not forced to develop for Apple, they can starve with the rest of the Android world if they want to. No one at Apple will miss them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts