What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs. Google Map

NorPlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:eek: I'm Missing Something ?? Drawing a Blank ?? I want to Print Off Directions given from the Google Maps App.. No Provision or Tab to Click On to make it Happen ?? Or at least the Tab hasn't jumped out at me.. I can Print Off Directions given from the Map App provided on my iPad, Trouble is the Google Map is a bit more Detailed ... Help Appreciated Cheers Thanks o_O

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I take screenshots and create an an album for those particular directions. I do the route version and, when needed, the maps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Doesn't look like Google provided a print option in their iOS app. You can't even get to the share sheet.

Actually, I was surprised to find out you could print out instructions from Apple's Maps app, and that it actually does a decent job. Thanks for pointing that out, even if it's not what you were after.

So, I played around trying to get a print-out of Google Maps directions. This is what I tried, and how well/badly it worked.

First, I abandoned the app and went to Google Maps in Safari. A straight printout didn't work very well. All I got was the Map and distance. Even then the map failed to print completely a couple of times.

So I tried sending it to my app PDF Converter (by Readdle). I got the turn-by-turn instructions, but no map.

Sending it to the Evernote app and printing from there worked best as a single step. It printed both the map and directions, but like the earlier map-only results sometimes not all of the map printed.

My conclusion is that if I need to print driving directions from Google Maps I would:

1) Use Safari and go to Google Maps.
2) Take a screen shot of the map portion, with the map expanded to show the most detail, and print that.
3) Use PDF Converter and print the resulting PDF of the turn-by-turn directions.

Kind of complicated but it should give you everything you need, and look at least a little better than using all screen shots.

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just take screen shots and print them.

OP
NorPlan

NorPlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. And that should work. I just thought the PDF turn instructions would be a bit neater. Might be more work though.

;) @twerppoet ... While I agree with you as my reference was to Google being more detailed than the Map App provided by Apple for the iPad .. Sadly I'm not much on the Technical side for fear of my FFS. I tried the Screen Shot & Print route.. My observation , just print off what I need as the printing itself takes a lot of ink with printing out the Map portion before the Route Description.. Thanks for your Help Though.. ;)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
;) @twerppoet ... While I agree with you as my reference was to Google being more detailed than the Map App provided by Apple for the iPad .. Sadly I'm not much on the Technical side for fear of my FFS. I tried the Screen Shot & Print route.. My observation , just print off what I need as the printing itself takes a lot of ink with printing out the Map portion before the Route Description.. Thanks for your Help Though.. ;)

No problem. Though I'd like to point out that using PDF Converter only gave me the printed turn-by-turn directions. Not the map. It would be probably be the least ink intensive method.

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Apple Maps directions look good, I’ll have to remember that. Thanks.

Most reactions