What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been thinking of an android tablet, main reason is flash without the need for a slow add on browser, listening to you guys, i feel strongly that id rather have both lol ipad for what i do now because honestly ( and i cant believe i am saying this lol ) i really love the response my ipad has, and the fact that it has only ever crashed like maybe 2 times in 8 months, and then there is all the apps i have paid for that id rather not lose. Then i would use the android for the rest of what i would need.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Seanc123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently bought my wife the Galaxy tab and you aren't restricted to ITunes for music or video downloads , I just bought myself the 64gb 3G IPad and I wish I had rather bought the Galaxy tab for myself , I'm hoping I just don't understand the IPad properly yet

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seanc123 said:
I recently bought my wife the Galaxy tab and you aren't restricted to ITunes for music or video downloads , I just bought myself the 64gb 3G IPad and I wish I had rather bought the Galaxy tab for myself , I'm hoping I just don't understand the IPad properly yet

Other than flash, what do you want the iPad to do?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Actually, I suspect you already understand the difference. If you're looking for a (relatively) open system with all that that implies (both positive and negative) you should opt for the Android environment. Google doesn't sell hardware (at least not primarily). Google is far less likely to benefit from controlling the apps that use its OS. And it's far more likely to benefit from making apps available to users whether they've been refereed or not.

Apple, on the other hand, has a mirror image business model. They benefit hugely from hardware sales. The more uniform the user experience the better from a support perspective. The iTunes app store is a massive cash cow for Apple. And as long as the sheer number of apps dwarfs any competitor, the fact that users are prevented from accessing alternatives is not a major weakness.

In short, Apple is the IBM of tablets (and smartphones.) There can be, at most, only one IBM in the market. All others, Google included, must choose a different approach.

bastones

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well I'm sure there's plenty of other ways to buy music and movies and sync to your device but I don't think there are any other apps that allow you to purchase music and movies on the App Store right now (or at all). Though there are subscription-based services such as Spotify that are in the UK/European stores and I'm sure in the US App Store soon too since Spotify is coming to the US apparently.

Except from Flash, what else do you expect the iPad to do that the Galaxy Tab can do better? Sure, it can be customised unlike iOS devices but it's simply a differentiation between how Apple would like to do it and how Google would like to do it.

If you're unhappy with buying music and movie content via iTunes, purchase music and movies via your computer via Amazon MP3 or something and transfer them to your iPad.

Either way it's your call whether you want to stick with the iPad or go for an Android tablet...they're both very good tablet platforms (that is, with Android 3 Honeycomb).

Last edited:

yayipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think apple is a lot more user friendly. Isn't that what everyone makes fun of them for? How their macs are only for kids and old people lol. I love apple products, but i also love my droid 2 which surprisingly has had no problems

Seanc123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently bought my wife a galaxy tab and find it easier to use and much easier to download contents as the unit accepts more items ex Internet and you are not limited to the I store , I just got my IPad 2 and am hoping it was a good buy because the android is out performing it go date

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Enjoying iPad2 but IMO Androids are much more user friendly. Anyone else a user of both? What's ur opinion?

I own two iPads and I tried a Motorola Xoom for a few weeks just to check it out. After deciding the Xoom was total junk it went back to Costco. The iPad IMO is the best tablet hands down.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own two iPads and I tried a Motorola Xoom for a few weeks just to check it out. After deciding the Xoom was total junk

ITA. I played with one at Best Buy, I think it was, or Office Max, hell I don't recall, but it was an awful thing. Dark, gloomy, I hated the size and graphics.

Killman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I fiddled with an Android tablet of some sort at Walmart a week before I got my iPad 2. While it did seem pretty nice, it also felt very clunky and disorganized.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

bastones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own two iPads and I tried a Motorola Xoom for a few weeks just to check it out. After deciding the Xoom was total junk

ITA. I played with one at Best Buy, I think it was, or Office Max, hell I don't recall, but it was an awful thing. Dark, gloomy, I hated the size and graphics.

I think the Xoom uses the stock Android Honeycomb user interface. I think it looks awesome...would definitely try it out but from videos I've seen it doesn't look as smooth animation-wise as the iPad's user interface.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
bastones said:
I think the Xoom uses the stock Android Honeycomb user interface. I think it looks awesome...would definitely try it out but from videos I've seen it doesn't look as smooth animation-wise as the iPad's user interface.

I use it everyday at work. ~ Really? Edited by Moderator ~

Last edited by a moderator:

Banacek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seanc123 said:
Other than flash, what do you want the iPad to do?

I want openvpn support, animated wallpaper, google latitude, and compass mode on street view.... Other than that I'm loving it so far :p ( I'm willing to overlook the animated wallpaper).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions