What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad (version 3) GPS Topo app

Waagman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just ordered a new iPad at Amazon today (my wife has a 1st generation iPad). I'm planning to use the GPS function for hiking/backpacking trips and was wondering if anyone else is doing the same and if so, what Topo App do you recommend? I bought the iPad with Wi-Fi and Cellular as I read that the non Cellular iPad does not have the GPS chip. I need to be able to create waypoints that include lat/lon coordinates.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I use two apps for this. There are probably better apps, but I can only speak to what I have, and these are pretty good for what they do.

Topo Maps by Philip Endcott allows you to download topographical maps for offline use. You only download the ones you want, in in high or low resolution. You can place waypoints and do other basic navigation functions.

Motion X GPS HD allows you to catch up to 2 GB (depending on settings) of map data, so if you look over your destination before leaving the internet your good to go. It offers several map sources including terrain maps from MotionX and Bing. The Motion X terrain map is decent, though not as detailed as the maps you can download for the Topo Map app, but there are way more bells and whistles. Of course that means more to learn.

Neither app has an outstanding UI. They take a bit of fiddling and reading of help files to figure out.

I'll include a couple of screen shots of each map shortly. Note that the Topo Maps app uses a national repository of some kind, so the maps themselves vary from region to region, and they may not be as up-to-date as some online map sources.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Motion X GPS HD
MotionXSS.jpg

Topo Maps for iPad
TopoMapSS.jpg

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Waagman said:
Just ordered a new iPad at Amazon today (my wife has a 1st generation iPad). I'm planning to use the GPS function for hiking/backpacking trips and was wondering if anyone else is doing the same and if so, what Topo App do you recommend? I bought the iPad with Wi-Fi and Cellular as I read that the non Cellular iPad does not have the GPS chip. I need to be able to create waypoints that include lat/lon coordinates.

Hi I have bought most of the including TP suggestion and found GPS Kit HD to be the best, it also supports offline map caching, the main feature is the track back if you are really worried about navigation.
It also can work with out a 3G signal using the inboard GPS chipset.
Pic attached of the maps you can use, you can also add maps

image-2509386703.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts