What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad users on Windows targeted with malware

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad users on Windows targeted with malware

BitDefenderiPadBackDoor_610x369.png
This screenshot shows that the download is identified as malware.
(Credit: BitDefender)

Scammers are distributing e-mails designed to trick iPad owners into downloading software that they think is an iTunes update, but which turns out to be malware that opens a back door on the computer.

iPad users on Windows targeted with malware | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How many iPad users want to run Windows? Maybe the techies who do it simply to prove that they can....at last there's a computer threat that doesn't worry me!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really? You would just go to a site that was emailed to you that wasn't very clearly Apple

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Anyone that uses links in emails to update anything on their computer deserves to learn the hard way. Anytime I get an email urging me to click on a link to update a piece of software I own, I close the email and go to the venders website and check it out. Often there is no update, and the email a scam.

Perhaps when people get burned enough times, it will help them develop some common sense. Harsh? Yes, but as adults we have to learn......

Last edited:

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The stupidity of people always amazes me. I wonder how many will be caught with this email?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How many iPad users want to run Windows? Maybe the techies who do it simply to prove that they can....at last there's a computer threat that doesn't worry me!

If I ran Win O/S, I wouldn't have an iPhone, iPad, or MacAir...
I have two windowsers in my arsenal and they both run iPods, they could run an iPhone and they WILL run an iPad.
The question is more: "How many Windows users will join the Apple ranks after having bought an iPad?"
Do you really want to repell them?
I say welcome them with open arms...

Why do people always get binary when it comes to computers? :D:D:D

windowsnerd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im cross posted in the news thread. Sorry about that -
I just posted on my page to add some criticism of the way this story is presented. This is clearly a WINDOWS trojan. ipad is the phish hook used to lure in the bait. I think this is libel and Apple should go after each of the media outlets using the misleading headline to gain click revenue.

http://windowsnerd.com/2010/04/27/crn-libel-against-ipad/

... And this is coming from a career windows admin.

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im cross posted in the news thread. Sorry about that -
I just posted on my page to add some criticism of the way this story is presented. This is clearly a WINDOWS trojan. ipad is the phish hook used to lure in the bait. I think this is libel and Apple should go after each of the media outlets using the misleading headline to gain click revenue.

windowsnerd.com CRN libel against ipad

... And this is coming from a career windows admin.

It is amazing how one site can come up with a misleading 'news story' and hundreds re-post it as their own.

An army of lawyers should take them all on.

ayerbusiness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every devices here in the world are always prone on having malwares and viruses. Devices must be prepared about this matter.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if the editor didn't drop the word "users" from the headline in order to bump the size?

sweet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if the editor didn't drop the word "users" from the headline in order to bump the size?
you guys realize if 90 percent of the world used macs then windows would never be targeted by malicious software and it would be macs that get targetted, right?

This is one the oldest tricks in the book, but people like my grandmother fall for it every single time. Nothing to do with windows vs mac.

Dav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone that uses links in emails to update anything on their computer deserves to learn the hard way. Anytime I get an email urging me to click on a link to update a piece of software I own, I close the email and go to the venders website and check it out. Often there is no update, and the email a scam.

Perhaps when people get burned enough times, it will help them develop some common sense. Harsh? Yes, but as adults we have to learn......

My thoughts as well why would anyone trust a link in the email, the thing tom do is to just visit the website like you say then all shall be revealed.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score

haha, what? I've worked on macs and pcs for years and find them both to be equally easy to work on. Never had a virus or malware problem on my PCs. Common sense goes a long way. I'm certainly not worried about this one either. Common sense goes a long way.

Most reactions

Latest posts