What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Restore problems

Arkadius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MerryChristmas everyone!

I am managing my Mom's iPad 2 and noticed that she was still running iPad Os 4 so I decided to upgrade everything. I downloaded the latest version of iTunes, I manually saved all of the pictures and movies from the iPad. Then I also backed-up the iPad using iTunes. Subsequently I downloaded the latest version of the iPad OS. And then I installed it, or so I thought...

The iPad appears to be wiped clean only. When I turn it on, it goes to the white setup page (swipe to set up, followed by language settings, etc.) When I try to do the restore, I get the following message:

"Find My iPad must be turned off before iPad can be restored. Go to iCloud Settings on your iPad and turn off Find My iPad before restoring your iPad."

Well it is impossible to get into the iPad to do that because the iPad is still at the initializing stage now. It is a vicious circle. I do have the full backup of everything so I'm not too worried about it but, I can't seem to get past this stage. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Arkadius

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MerryChristmas everyone!

I am managing my Mom's iPad 2 and noticed that she was still running iPad Os 4 so I decided to upgrade everything. I downloaded the latest version of iTunes, I manually saved all of the pictures and movies from the iPad. Then I also backed-up the iPad using iTunes. Subsequently I downloaded the latest version of the iPad OS. And then I installed it, or so I thought...

The iPad appears to be wiped clean only. When I turn it on, it goes to the white setup page (swipe to set up, followed by language settings, etc.) When I try to do the restore, I get the following message:

"Find My iPad must be turned off before iPad can be restored. Go to iCloud Settings on your iPad and turn off Find My iPad before restoring your iPad."

Well it is impossible to get into the iPad to do that because the iPad is still at the initializing stage now. It is a vicious circle. I do have the full backup of everything so I'm not too worried about it but, I can't seem to get past this stage. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Arkadius
First, turn off the iPad, then go to your computer and log in to iCloud.com with your mother's Apple ID. You then click on find my iPhone and select all devices. Select the iPad in question and remove it from the account. After it's been deleted, go back and try the set up again.

OP
A

Arkadius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the tip. My Mom never used iCloud, but I also took the precaution of getting on there and logging in with her credentials and ensuring that her iPad does not appear there. So after reading your post, I tried this again and I confirm that the iPad does not appear on iCloud, however, when trying to do the restore, I still get the same message. Any other suggestions anyone?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The second half of this link will show you how to update the iPad using iTunes: http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT4623

If her device was running iOS 4 before your problems started, it's possible that it won't appear in iCloud, because that requires at least iOS 5.

The best idea in your case would be to call Apple Support and tell them about your problem. They could disable Activation Lock for you. Just make sure you can prove that the iPad was purchased by your mother.

OP
A

Arkadius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice J.A. I will try to contact apple as a last resort. For now, I am just curious to resolve the issue independently of Apple. I did purchase the iPad2 for my Mom so it should be no problem with Apple support. Then again, who knows?

I logged in to iCloud for the first time the other day to see if my Mom's iPad would display there and it was indeed there. I made sure to turn it off, but i still get the same message when trying to restore. It should be noted that since her software and firmware was not updated since os4, there should have been no iCloud information whatsoever on the device. So iTunes is basically asking me turn off the ghost of "Find my ipad".

I tried following all of the points on the link you provided but it was to no avail. I'm still getting the same error message.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When it appears in iCloud now, then you should remove it from there, following scifan57's advice.

Make sure the iPad is turned off. Login to iCloud on a computer, using her Apple ID, and remove it.

Most reactions

Latest posts