What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Restore

zade831

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I currently have a jailbroken ipad 2 on ios 5.1.1 GSM. I want to restore it to the same version (ios 5.1.1) without updating to ios 6. I've been trying to restore it with ios 5.1.1 ipsw but it won't let me it keeps saying wrong build, but I know I have the right build. And I tried the gs.apple.com trick but it doesn't work still.

Also, the reason why I wanted to restore is because I want to restore my icloud backup cuz some of my photos were saved there and I want to retrieve it. Thank you.

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't restore to 5.1.1 because the signing window for 5.1.1 has closed. You can only restore to iOS6

OP
Z

zade831

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any other way I can restore my photo stream backup from icloud

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In iTunes, with the iPad connected - have you right-clicked on the iPad line and selected "restore from backup"? If that iCloud backup is there to select from, you can restore with it. It will put the iPad back to that backup but it won't mess with your installed iOS 5.1.1 or jail break.

I'm not sure if it'll work (I don't use iCloud to make backups), but I know I could "restore from backup" using one made and saved by iTunes. So, maybe it'll work?

Marilyn

OP
Z

zade831

iPF Noob
Reaction score
restore from backup only works for backups made by the mac not icloud. :( any other way. I really need to get those pictures before icloud deletes them in 30 days

exeterwayne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also want to restore my ipad2. I'm still using ios 5.1.1 if I do a restore now, would automatically put ios 6 on it, even though I don't want it?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Drats!

Sorry, then I've got nothing left. Except - if you can stand it - don't make another backup to the cloud (unless there is a way to absolutely guarantee that you won't write over the one you want). Then, keep going on as you are and wait.

We are expecting jail break tools that should allow us to re-restore our iPads to iOS 5.1.1 as long as we have never moved up to iOS 6. So, if you can wait for those tools...?

Unfortunately, I do not have, nor can I give you an estimate as to when those tools will be available to the public. All I know is that a tweet from one of the key jail break community members said it was coming. I know there is a 30-day time crunch. I just can't see any other way, short of upgrading to iOS 6.

So, that's that. I'm out. Maybe someone else reading this can help you get access to your cloud backup ....

Marilyn

P.S. One last try - can you manually put that backup onto your computer/into iTunes? Or, can it (does it) only go onto the iPad via the iPad?

Most reactions

Latest posts