What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad: Troubleshooting touchscreen response

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score

• Last Modified: April 15, 2010
  • Article: TS3293

Symptoms

Your iPad may experience one of the following symptoms:

• Multi-Touch display (or touchscreen) does not respond
  • Portions of the Multi-Touch display do not respond
  • Multi-Touch display is very slow to respond

Products Affected

iPad

Resolution

If your device is experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, try the following steps:

1. Clean the iPad screen with a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth.
  2. Do not wear gloves while using the Multi-Touch display. Do not use the touchscreen with wet hands or immediately after applying hand lotion. Moisture affects touchscreen behavior in the same manner as it affects a trackpad.
  3. If you have a protective plastic sheet or film on the touchscreen, try removing it. It may be preventing the touchscreen from working properly.
  4. If that doesn't work, turn the device off and turn it on again. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button on the top of the device for few seconds until a red slider appears, and then slide the slider. Then press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears. To learn more, see iPad: Frozen and unresponsive.
  5. If the device did not turn off, reset it. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for a least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
If the steps above don't resolve your issue, please schedule a service appointment with an Apple Retail Store for evaluation. If an Apple Retail store is not an option, contact Apple to find out your best service option or see the iPad Service FAQ.
Tip: If you are going to take your device into a Apple Retail Store or An Apple Authorized Service Provider for evaluation, follow these steps to help the Mac Genius understand where your Multi-Touch display is experiencing unresponsiveness.

• Open the Maps application and double-tap each corner, then the center, to verify it zooms in to each section.
  • If a specific area is affected in another application, note the location and try to verify touch functionality for that location in the Maps application.

katkutter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad touchscreen - i have to select & double-click all apps, docs, etc.

Starting last night my iPad has caught a "wonk"! For those out there who always assume that the user is an idiot - I am a veteran Mac and Apple product user all the way back to 1994 (the dark days!!) and all 14 of my Macs are in working condition (even my original 6116CD Performa!!) Not a guru, by any means, but def experienced user.

Originally I thought the touchscreen was not responding, but have since determined that it is only in a very very odd way. I have also discovered absolutely zero information on this oddity in all the forums and help blogs on the net, so far.

So here's what is happening:

1. In order to unlock I have to select the slide and then VERY slowly slide it to open. If I go too fast it either deselects or selects another visible field on the screen - anything from the date to the WIFI icon.

2. In order to perform ANY functions, I have to first "select" whatever app or nest that I need. Then I have to double-click in order to open it.

3. Same goes for documents - such as found in Numbers, etc. But in those apps I have to select "new document" and then use all of my fingers to slide from one document to another. This often takes as many as 3 slide attempts before the documents move. This also applies to the dock and selecting recent Apps, as well as in using iBook, Kindle, etc.

I have reset - both powering down and 10-second reset - many many times with no change. In short, I've done every step of the standard troubleshooting so many times that it's ridiculous at this point. I am resisting the restore option, but am almost resigned to it being the only solution.

Any help out there? Or, at minimum, information as to WHY this is happening? :confused:

deb.eisloeffel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have this happening right now, too.

I notice your post is from April 2011. Did you get the problem repaired? I have also reset many times and am getting ready to restore. I don't want to do that unless it's necessary. If you've found another solution, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks!

deb.eisloeffel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hallelujah! I figured it out on my own! I had mistakenly turned on the VoiceOver command, and the volume was all the way down, so I never heard it. Another conversation on this forum discussed double-tapping and VoiceOver and I realized that that's exactly how my iPad was behaving. Turned VoiceOver off and I am back in business!!

Most reactions