What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad to TV....what will play?

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed "http://www.redmondpie.com/enable-video-mirroring-and-multitasking-gestures-on-ipad-1-running-ios-5-without-jailbreaking-video/" on my iPad1 per the instructions--went w/o a hitch. The mirroring does seem to work. Oddly, HBOGo doesn't mirror for me, though. ABC works fine and the few apps I tried did too. The mirroring isn't explicit in the download instructions but work fine anyway. BTW I am not jailbroken.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed "http://www.redmondpie.com/enable-video-mirroring-and-multitasking-gestures-on-ipad-1-running-ios-5-without-jailbreaking-video/" on my iPad1 per the instructions--went w/o a hitch. The mirroring does seem to work. Oddly, HBOGo doesn't mirror for me, though. ABC works fine and the few apps I tried did too. The mirroring isn't explicit in the download instructions but work fine anyway. BTW I am not jailbroken.
I think you're confusing AirPlay with AirPlay Mirroring. True AirPlay Mirroring means that everything on the iPad's screen is shown on the TV via WiFi and an Apple TV2 running iOS 4.4 or above.

We've had those instruction on the forum for a short while now... http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...ultitasking-gestures-ipad-1-a.html#post177728

I've used them and although the Multitasking Gestures work perfectly on the original iPad, AirPlay Mirroring does not...and based on numerous comments here and elsewhere, the original LifeHacker article and video are incorrect with respect to AirPlay Mirroring being enabled on the original iPad using the redns0w non-jailbreaking "hack".

True AirPlay Mirroring controls look like this...

Screen Shot 2011-10-24 at 5.34.16 PM.png

Last edited:

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are right, I got the 2 confused. One of these days I will understand more about 'i" stuff (I'm a Windows guy). I was referring to connecting my iPad1 to a HDTV via the Apple HDMI/USB connector.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are right, I got the 2 confused. One of these days I will understand more about 'i" stuff (I'm a Windows guy). I was referring to connecting my iPad1 to a HDTV via the Apple HDMI/USB connector.
At least there's that option. I'm really hoping they'll add Mirroring to the original iPad in the future. They've done things like that before so it wouldn't be surprising. Glad the gestures are working though...I had really gotten used to them!

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I have an apple component cord. Is its only function to mirror Netflix and YouTube. I have a Vizio E422VA that has built in wifi

vbriggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skier76 said:
So with iOS5 on my iPad1 I'll be able to stream any video to my TV? Will that be via a cable or apple TV....or both?

Yes, I do this both ways (hdmi cable on my bedroom tv and apple tv in the living room), and even before iOS 5. Full mirroring will not work on the iPad 1, but you can stream iTunes, YouTube, and many other apps support it also. The hdmi adaptor is about $35 and apple tv is $99.

vbriggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts