What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad to TV....what will play?

Skier76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have an iPad1 running 4.3.2. I'd like to hook the iPad up to the TV so we can watch video from various TV apps like the ABC and NBC apps. Will this work? I've seen some vids on youtube, but they indicate that if you hook your iPad up to the TV via cables, you can only play youtube vids or movies you have on the iPad. Is that the case? If so, would I be able to play TV apps and stream via apple TV?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 5 in a few days, do everything.

jailbreak, do whatever you want.

civil123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please help me about itunes my problem is that i every time update or upgrade my ios on my ipad2 all my apps that i had on my device erased and i will install again why?

OP
S

Skier76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So with iOS5 on my iPad1 I'll be able to stream any video to my TV? Will that be via a cable or apple TV....or both?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So with iOS5 on my iPad1 I'll be able to stream any video to my TV? Will that be via a cable or apple TV....or both?

see everything on your tv via apple tv, iPad 1 hdmi might get support for iOS 5, not sure yet.....but why would you wanna be cabled to your tv.

this video is prob an iOS 5 beta, full release should be better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
a newer video....and a mention about hdmi doing fullscreen.
im not worried about fullscreen, cause i am jailbroken, and i have options using tweaks to apply fullscreen. Just the need of iOS 5 getting a jailbreak.

Last edited by a moderator:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But, I stumbled across this: How to Enable Multitasking Gestures and Display Mirroring on the iPad 1 (Without Jailbreaking)

Has anyone tried this? It shows the gestures; but I don't see how to do the mirroring.
Yes, we've had a thread on it on the forum for quite a while:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...ultitasking-gestures-ipad-1-a.html#post177728

Unfortunately this new method does NOT enable AirPlay Mirroring as indicated, but Multitasking Gestures on the original iPad work perfectly.

OP
S

Skier76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the link.

Is jailbreaking still the only option for mirroring with the Ipad1?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the link.

Is jailbreaking still the only option for mirroring with the Ipad1?
I believe that's the case. FWIW I've read that the reason that Apple didn't enable AirPlay Mirroring on the original iPad was due to the concern about processing power. As you're probably aware, the original iPad has an A4 processor and the iPad 2 has the newer A5 processor. That's not to say it wouldn't work on the original iPad, but my WAG is that they decided it might not be up to their standards, introducing too much lag, etc. Hard to say.

Normal apps with AirPlay still work great on the original iPad though, but I'd also like to see how AirPlay Mirroring would work.

OP
S

Skier76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bummer...is what it is though. I'd love to mirror so we could use the various TV apps. We have a weekend place with ultra basic cable. Firing up the iPad to watch a show would have come in handy.

Wondering if I should make the leap and jailbreak this. I know nothing about it.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bummer...is what it is though. I'd love to mirror so we could use the various TV apps. We have a weekend place with ultra basic cable. Firing up the iPad to watch a show would have come in handy.

Wondering if I should make the leap and jailbreak this. I know nothing about it.
There are a lot of folks here that can help if you want to jailbreak. I'd just post your question(s) and see what advice you get.

iPad Hacking

Most reactions

Latest posts