What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD to SONY Android TV

lewinm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have two (now three) ipads. The oldest is an Ipad mini 2 running IOS12.5.6 (the most recent IOS that this model can use). The next is an Ipad Air 3rd generation.
I have videos on these devices that I send to my SONY Bravia (Android TV). To do this, I have an adapter that goes from HDMI to a Lightning connector. I plug one end into the Ipad and the other into an HDMI cable leading to my TV input. All works well (and has worked well for years). I recently upgraded the Mini 2 to to a Mini 6th generation running IOS 16.2. This unit connects via USB-C, not Lightning. So I bought an Anker USB-C to HDMI adapter expecting all to work the same way. On the new Mini, the screen indicates that the video is now playing on the TV, but only the audio is going to the TV; there is no video.

And before anyone suggests I use Airplay, I've already tried that. With Airplay, I get a message that the video is in the wrong format (it is an MP4 format). I've tried Airplay with all three Ipads and they all fail in the same way.

Can someone help? Is there an Ipad setting I've not set? Am I using an incompatible cable? I'm stumped.

OP
L

lewinm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Instead of AirPlay or a cable, try playing the video in Photo Cast (free in the App store).
Photo Cast works fine but will only display videos in the Photos section of my Ipad. The videos I want to display are from DVD's that I ripped on my Windows PC, converted to MP4 and copied to my Ipad using Waltr PRO. Those videos are under the TV App on my Ipad and Photo Cast won't play videos from there.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are using the TV app, check the Definition setting under Settings > TV.

The TV app supports both HD and SD. If the Sony is old enough it might not support HD. If it does, then possibly it is set to HD, and the TV app is set to SD.

Given the spread of your apps, it's possible your older iPads did not support HD, and the new iPad does and defaults to it,

Those are just guesses. Good luck,.

OP
L

lewinm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are using the TV app, check the Definition setting under Settings > TV.

The TV app supports both HD and SD. If the Sony is old enough it might not support HD. If it does, then possibly it is set to HD, and the TV app is set to SD.

Given the spread of your apps, it's possible your older iPads did not support HD, and the new iPad does and defaults to it,

Those are just guesses. Good luck,.
The TV is about 1 year old and is HD. All 3 ipads are set to HD and the settings for the TV app are identical on all three

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not sure how to help then. I don't have any troubles doing this, but I'm using a different TV and iPads. The closest I have is the iPad Mini 5th gen, which still has a Lightning port.

Just in case my memory was bad (I don't use the HDMI port often) I checked, and both the iPad Mini and the iPad Pro (USB-C) worked as expected with their adaptors.

All I can suggest is trying different HDMI ports on the TV (if it has them) and double checking the settings for those ports.

OP
L

lewinm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure how to help then. I don't have any troubles doing this, but I'm using a different TV and iPads. The closest I have is the iPad Mini 5th gen, which still has a Lightning port.

Just in case my memory was bad (I don't use the HDMI port often) I checked, and both the iPad Mini and the iPad Pro (USB-C) worked as expected with their adaptors.

All I can suggest is trying different HDMI ports on the TV (if it has them) and double checking the settings for those ports.
Four HDMI ports on my TV and I tried them all. Also, HDMI ports can be set to standard or enhanced and I tried both options on those.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of is to try it on another TV set. At the very least this will isolate the problem between the iPad and the TV. It is always possible you got a faulty iPad. It's rare, but not unheard of.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On a whim I did a search for your problem, and found a YouTube video. Apparently when you are actually connected to the TV, an option should appear at the bottom of Settings > Display & Brightness for the actually TV. You can change the modes there.

In the YouTube video they changed it from Dolby to HDR, and everything started to work.

OP
L

lewinm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very strange circumstances but with a happy ending. First, I switched TV's. Using the same cables and adapter as before, I tried displaying on a 12 year old SONY HD TV. The video as well as the audio transferred to the TV successfully on each of the TV's HDMI inputs. Then, I went back downstairs and tried again on the current SONY and still got the same results as before; audio good but no video. But then, I watched the You Tube video suggested above and changed Display setting from Dolby to HDR and, voila, the video displayed perfectly.

The engineer in me wants to know why it works with a lightning cable but not with the USB-C cable. But the practical side of me doesn't care and am just appreciative that the problem appears to be solved. Thank you to all for your efforts and assistance

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My favorite fortune cookie:
A9172598-C484-46FE-A619-5D23364F0FA2.jpeg

Most reactions

Latest posts