What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad to iPad 2 Question re: apps

dminches

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I have to repurchase any applications I have on my iPad if I want them on my iPad 2? If not, how do I transfer them? Via iTunes?

bored2426

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is my understanding that you do not have to repurchase apps. You just hook your new iPad to your computer and transfer old purchases via itunes to your iPad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the Forum’s experienced posters, ‘twerppoet’ recently wrote this about upgrading from an iPad1 to an iPad2.

“In iTunes, with your iPad connected, choose you iPad under devices.

Right click on the iPad and do a Backup.

Right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases.

Explore iTunes on the computer and make sure all your media and apps are there.

That will do most of what you need. To be on the safe side, go through any of your apps that store or create documents and make sure you email, or otherwise save them to the computer. Be sure to include the Saved Pictures album in iPhotos.

When you get your new iPad sync it to same account and computer. Right click on the device and choose Restore from Backup. I'm not completely sure of the right sequence in the restore procedure, so you might want to grab the iPad User's Guide. But as long as you did the first part with the old iPad you should be able to fumble you're way to a complete recovery of all your stuff.

Before you send back your iPad, be sure to Restore it from the main device screen. This will remove all your personal data and set it to the same state you received it in.â€

Tim
Scotland

Nemesis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question about apps as well. As with all Apple devices, support for the obsolete device seems to always go out the window. Has Apple given any insight into whether or not there will be some apps in the App Store that will ONLY work with iPad 2 and not the original iPad?

I know they had an issue with certain apps not being compatible with iPod touch 2nd generation vs iPhone 4, etc. I'm wondering if the same thing will apply here.

As a general note, I am not planning on buying an iPad 2. Just wondering if I will need to be more wary about selecting apps from the App Store in the near future.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a question about apps as well. As with all Apple devices, support for the obsolete device seems to always go out the window. Has Apple given any insight into whether or not there will be some apps in the App Store that will ONLY work with iPad 2 and not the original iPad?

I know they had an issue with certain apps not being compatible with iPod touch 2nd generation vs iPhone 4, etc. I'm wondering if the same thing will apply here.

As a general note, I am not planning on buying an iPad 2. Just wondering if I will need to be more wary about selecting apps from the App Store in the near future.

Good question. There are iPad only apps now. Will the differentiate between one and two?they may allow this.would sell more units. Apps using the 2x processor and 9x graphics would make sense and run poorly on the one.

Nemesis

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Good question. There are iPad only apps now. Will the differentiate between one and two?they may allow this.would sell more units. Apps using the 2x processor and 9x graphics would make sense and run poorly on the one.

You're right that it may sell more units, but I for one will be ticked at Apple for making a product that sold 15 million units obsolete after less than a year.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nemesis said:
You're right that it may sell more units, but I for one will be ticked at Apple for making a product that sold 15 million units obsolete after less than a year.

Obsolete? Are you sure, there are thousands of apps available for both iPads, a handful of new apps will only run on iPad 2, obviously as developers take advantage of the improved hardware there will be more than a handful but I doubt that existing apps are just going to disappear.

Apple are still supporting iPad 1 as are most developers

IPad 1 will not be obsolete for some considerable time and even then, you should have a bucket load of apps pre installed which will make it more than useable however I think it is not realistic to expect Apple to put on hold their business plans and development to suit individuals.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts