What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad to help tablet shipments in 2013 exceed those of laptops

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
NE26798

A recent report from Strategy Analytics, called “Mobile Computing Device Cannibalization: The Game Has Changed†estimates that tablets will ship in higher volumes than mobile PCs for the full calendar year of 2013, reaching 231 million. And, of course, Apple's iPad plays a major role in this achievement.

Strategy Analytics’ report says that a number of 186 million mobile PCs will have been shipped in 2013 by the end of next month, less than the number of shipped tablets. Matt Wilkins, Director of Tablets and Wearables for Strategy Analytics, said the following:

The tablet has become firmly ingrained in the consumer mindset, and is now seen as one of the key go-to devices for consumers who want to undertake computing tasks on a mobile device. As a result, the processors architectures, operating systems, and form factor of the tablet are playing dominant roles in the MCD space.

Recently, Apple’s Chief Executive Officer, Tim Cook, revealed that Apple had sold its 170 millionth iPad, which shows just how big the impact of this technological product has been. Also, let’s not forget that Apple’s iconic tablet is an young product, as it was introduced in 2010. Now, with increased pressure from Android and Windows tablets, can Apple's iconic slate manage to resist and remain the darling of the tablet world?

Source: PrNewsWire

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPads are less expensive and more portable than laptops.

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPads are less expensive and more portable than laptops.

Definitely more portable....but...I think there are many laptops less expensive than the iPad I have. :)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Definitely more portable....but...I think there are many laptops less expensive than the iPad I have. :)

True, and let's be honest: there are still plenty of tasks which require a laptop. The tablet takeover isn't quite ready just yet. Eventually, yes. But not yet.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For me I guess I never see tablets as a productivity tool, but for me I think its more of a device that is best used for showing presentations instead of productivity. I think its the best use for tablets in the field of productivity.

I honestly think laptops are just productivity devices and good gaming devices in this era. Since tablets and smartphones are more accessible and more portable, I think that is the best use for them right now.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For me I guess I never see tablets as a productivity tool, but for me I think its more of a device that is best used for showing presentations instead of productivity. I think its the best use for tablets in the field of productivity. I honestly think laptops are just productivity devices and good gaming devices in this era. Since tablets and smartphones are more accessible and more portable, I think that is the best use for them right now.

That's a good assessment of it. I agree that my iPad isn't my go to device for heavy productivity. Can I do a spreadsheet on it here and there? Sure. A document or two? Of course. But not much more than that. My tablet IS my media consumption device, game system, email client and web surfer. It's fantastic at these tasks and a pleasure to use in this regard. As much as Microsoft and other companies try to make tablets everything to everyone, apple smartly just keeps them what they are suppose to be: Tablets! ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts