What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad + Time Capsule

iDoug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 1TB Time Capsule with Simultaneous dual-band Wi-Fi and I'm thinking this is the perfect device for the iPad around the house/shop/garage. I don't have my iPad yet, but I am already setting up a music, photo and movie library on the Time Capsule and I think it will be a perfect way to access all my media without having to store any of it on the iPad :)

Anyone else try or have this kind of setup?

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have Time Capsule so I'm not familiar with its features and capabilities. Does it act as a media server? Are you saying you can store music and videos on the Time Capsule and access them from your iPad via streaming over WiFi?

Thanks in advance for not slamming me. :) I'm still a recent convert from PC to Mac.

geo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree.

I have a Time Capsule and the WiFi works pretty well with both my Mac and laptop PC's. Distance is the main problem. Works well in the house but signal strength really drops off the further you get from the Time Capsule. I think it should work pretty well with my iPad when I finally get it.

OP
iDoug

iDoug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have Time Capsule so I'm not familiar with its features and capabilities. Does it act as a media server? Are you saying you can store music and videos on the Time Capsule and access them from your iPad via streaming over WiFi?

Thanks in advance for not slamming me. :) I'm still a recent convert from PC to Mac.

It's more of a wireless hard drive. It's also an AirPort and the WiFi is wicked fast IME. You can set up guest accounts so that everything stored on the HD is secure and it basically just shows up as a floating HD on your device.

Time Capsule - 1 TB - Apple Store (U.S.)

I have a Time Capsule and the WiFi works pretty well with both my Mac and laptop PC's. Distance is the main problem. Works well in the house but signal strength really drops off the further you get from the Time Capsule. I think it should work pretty well with my iPad when I finally get it.

I've found that the distance is pretty good on mine. The signal is weak in my shop, but it's not connected to my house and I'd say it's a good 80 ft from where my TC is and my devices still pick it up well.

geo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Time Capsule

Actually my signal strength problem is probably due to my 100+ year old house and all the thick walls. When I am in range I get excellent connection speeds, as good as connecting directly to the satellite modem.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took my 2-Wire off line when I got my Time Capsule. It is a great external hard drive, but I do not think it would be of much use over using a Mac since everything appears to go through iTunes. As a wifi server, it would be perfect, but you will have to deal with the interface issue to use the hard drive.

Most reactions

Latest posts