What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time capsule - copy files FROM ipad TO time capsule?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to all! Ive just got a Time Capsule for Christmas and I want to see what it can do. I managed to set up the network and file system on the TC. I can use the Filebrowser app to view any and all files on the time capsule. This is great! I no longer need to switch out my movies all the time. But now to the point. Since I have multiple computers, my time capsule will be the focus, the central point, of all my data. I do acquire new data on my iPad all the time, and I want to know if there is a way I can copy that data (system file data) directly onto the time capsule without using my pc as the middle man.

I'm currently exploring Filebrowser, but it doesn't seem to let me browse through the system files nor copy anything to the time capsule from it.

Last edited:
OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Note to any who are interested in this topic. I think I've figured out a way to do this. I hope to do a full tutorial on how to do it in the future, but the tasks that my life demand just doesnt give me time at the moment. A quick list of tools you'd need are: Jailbroken iPad, iFile, SBSettings, and Files Connect [$4.99 in App Store].

1) Use SBSettings to find the App folder for the files connect app - From the SBSettings dropdown, click the "more" button and scroll down and click the "app folders". Find the "files connect" app and select it. A popup should come up with the location of the file (writing it down is recommended).

2) Locate the file and move it to files connect - Depending on what the file is and how you attained it, locating the file you want to copy to the time capsule will vary. You can use the same procedure as step 1 if the file was downloaded from another app, or you will just have to browse through ifile to find it. Open iFile and locate the file you want to move. click "edit" at the top right of the screen; select the file; click the clickboard at the bottom right of the screen and select either copy or cut; click the top right of the screen again to get out of the edit mode. Now go over to the files connect folder that you wrote down earlier. It should be something in private > var> mobile > applications > [files connect folder] > documents. Paste the file in the documents folder (that is inside the files connect folder)

3) Moving the files to capsule - Go into the files connect app. After setting up the app, entering the password to your time capsule and whatnot, click on the documents folder then the "itunes sync" subfolder. You should be able to see the file is in there. click the file and a menu should come up; select copy. Now select the time capsule from the list on the left, locate the folder you want to place the file in, click on the little gear icon on the top right of your screen, and select paste the file. [NOTE - there should be an icon at the bottom that looks like a heart-beat monitor kind of thins, this is the status of the file; such time remaining and whatnot.

alanchan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After I read your advise
I got the TC too and all my files are store in the TC
I love Files Connect, great APPS
it sure make my life a lot easier now transferring files back and forth
thank you

vinodgs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is long process to do, I had the same issues back before and I found the cloud connect/files connect app, You can ssh to ur iPad from cloud connect and add this settings and save it and add the time capsule as smb and save the settings now you have a split option in cloud connect where you can view two source side by side example you can view iPad root at one side and the other time capsule on the other side. Now you have option to transfer the files you want from iPad to time capsule directly and vice versa.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts