What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Stylus used for writing???

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wmadan said:
You sound a lot like me. I bought the Bamboo stylus and really liked it, except that after two weeks the rubber nib developed a tear in it. So now I have a TruGlide stylus coming from Amazon. I am hoping that it is more durable.

Yes and I too recommended the Bamboo stylus. But after a while the nib of develops a tear. But I never had one occur after only two weeks. I have bought a pack of replacement nibs from Wacom, but they tend to be a little pricey. I could easily go through half a dozen nibs per year, and they come in a pack of 3, online order only.

I've since moved on to the Adonit Jot and Jot Pro. I have a Frys store locally, and noticed the other day they have both models. I'm always a sucker to buy something if I see it retail. And I was pleasantly surprised. The Bamboo stylus simply has too much friction for good writing. And the friction gets worse with use. It is very good for poking, but not so great for swiping. I only bought the Jot over the weekend, so the jury is out to see how it holds up in the long term. And it doesn't create a dirty film across the screen. I've read there are maintenance issues, such as using conductive grease to keep it from skipping. So far mine doesn't skip.

Dieverdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally decided to order the iFaraday styluses (styli?) whatever the plural of stylus is.... I got the artist set. I can't express how much I love them! I wish I'd spent the money and gotten them AGES ago! I do like the firmer tip but they write beautifully and I can hold my hand in a very natural way and not have to worry about having to have the tip at a very certain angle for it to work. The tip has some sort of fabric so it glides VERY nicely over the iPad surface and it makes writing for note taking very natural and drawing is very precise and easy to do with these pens. I HIGHLY recommend them. I know I will be ordering more. They come in a nice little tube that protects them, which I like for carrying in my purse, so that's a bonus.

On another note, I got an early edition of the iPen via Kickstarter because it sounded so promising – however I'm not impressed. I spent $80 and the pen really doesn't work - or it works rather intermittently and sporadically. And it only works with a couple of apps so far. I've done all the things they've said to be sure to do to enable it to work –– and it does begin to function so it's not like the connection isn't working, but it only works for a tiny line and then stops and then starts back again. Not reliable at all. Not sure if I got a dud or what the deal is. I had very high hopes for this but now I have my iFaraday I'm not as concerned.

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the stylus for Samsung Note. Only if that works with iPad. What's neat with the stylus is that it has a button which acts like the buttons of a mouse or touchpad.

preetim22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hiiiiiii every body
I think Bamboo stylus os better one. its the Soft-Touch Stylus, you can type, tap and scroll effortlessly without worrying about scratching the high-resolution display on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. The Soft-Touch Stylus features a lightweight aluminium body with a soft-touch rubber tip and includes a shirt clip, letting you easily carry it wherever you take your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

Bumbica

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just ordered the Kuel styli. I hope it'll work. Since I have discovered note taking apps, I can't wait to get my hands on one.

new iPad 32GB wi-fi black

lawr3nc3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
image-283707384.jpg

ipadized

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a stylus junkie, I use handwriting apps daily on my iPad so I'm always on the look out for something that will work comfortably and beatifully with my writing style and my iPad.

iFaraday RxII - absolutely love this stylus, [...]

Adonit Pro - this is the only stylus I'll put my iFaraday down for, this is EXCELLENT for handwriting . [...]

Alupen - this is always with me also but I don't pull it out much, [...]

[...]

Good luck on your stylus quest, for handwriting I love my Adonit Pro and the iFaraday!

Hey, j joy j, do you still use the same stylus, or have you changed?

By the way, do you prefer any particular note-taking app??

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey, j joy j, do you still use the same stylus, or have you changed? By the way, do you prefer any particular note-taking app??

I have changed my stylus line up ... of course, so here is the current and in no particular order:

The Pencil - by FiftyThree ( the makers of Paper)
Adonit Jot Script and I also have the Jot Touch
Alupen

Apps I use are GoodNotes, Noteability, NoteShelf and Penultimate. I did just download INKredible this morning but haven't messed with it yet.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have changed my stylus line up ... of course, so here is the current and in no particular order: The Pencil - by FiftyThree ( the makers of Paper) Adonit Jot Script and I also have the Jot Touch Alupen Apps I use are GoodNotes, Noteability, NoteShelf and Penultimate. I did just download INKredible this morning but haven't messed with it yet.
Hi Joy, We've been discussing these things now for some time, hunh? I, too, have a Jot Script---but it has some problems: offset, delay in inking, and erratic behavior (sometimes just turns off). Terrible value for the cost! Lots of folks complaining on the Adonit web site. How about you? I was a bit surprised that, discerning soul that you seem to be, you went for the Paper 53 Pencil! I have found Paper to be frou-frou, though pretty, and the Pencil looks to me just like one if my carpenter's pencils: good for marking boards, but clunky. Just my assessment, so I would be interested in how it actually handles in practice.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Tuttle, yes we seem to be the back-n-forth in the stylus venue. Among my love for handwritten note taking, is the artist who loves to draw. I'm more into the old school paper and pencil type mediums but am trying to also transition that into the tech world as an added medium. For some reason, Paper just seems to be the app that I can quickly jump in to and doodle with easily (I do have many art apps but that's an entirely different thread). Then, I saw the Pencil (did I mention my love for pencil and paper) so I had to grab it. It's very pretty indeed and I actually love the feel of it in hand and the cool eraser feature. But it's pretty much just used for the Paper app, works great in there if you're not trying to do too detailed of stuff. I've used it to write some general note tests and it's such a thick squishy tip that I don't use it for writing, but it does work good for a general stylus if your just looking at point and touch basics. It fits nicely under the straps of a couple of my cases and sticks to the magnet of the Apple Smart case really nice.

Jot Script - you're right, it's sporadic. I have found that it seems to work better in some apps than others. GoodNotes seems to work well with it, knock on wood, without any skipping or ink delays. I have experienced the skipping and inking delay just a few times, honestly not too many that may cause me to dislike it or not include it in my line up. But you're right, some of these things are too high priced to be experiencing any issues. I love the thin tip pen like shape and have had more luck with it than bad luck.

But you know, always in search of the stylus that suites 'me' best.

Most reactions

Latest posts