What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Stylus used for writing???

jes1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heaviside said:
I really have to put in a plug for my favorite note taking app---Note Taker HD. I have tried all of them, and always come back to this one.

I am still on the quest for the best stylus. Just ordered the e-faraday, and am looking forward to trying it out. Most are too short for handwriting. The stylus-R-us is long enough, but the point material compresses and loses effectiveness after a while. The best thus far are the Alu pen and the Targus, but they are too short. Dagi doesn't work for me.

I even tried making my own from conductive foam. Worked great at first, but began to fail after a while (fiber compression?).

Good luck.

As I wrote on another thread of the topic, you should add Just Mobile's Alupent. Anyone tried it? It looks like a big crayon but has good weight, feel. 2 thumbs up From me for best stylus.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jes1me said:
As I wrote on another thread of the topic, you should add Just Mobile's Alupent. Anyone tried it? It looks like a big crayon but has good weight, feel. 2 thumbs up From me for best stylus.

Yes, I have an Alupen. It feels good in the hand, but is somewhat short and the (rubber) tip isn't all that great as far as tactile feedback is concerned. Probably an individual preference issue---.

Melonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone tried out the Kensington Virtuoso stylus pen? It's only $15 but has pretty rad reviews.

tomapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used a range of rubber tip styluses so far, started with a Griffin stylus which I found a bit too thin and light, and not very responsive. Since then I've had he Wacom Bamboo stylus which feels awesome in the hand, really solid and well balanced, just like a real pen. It's also pretty responsive with a relatively small tip (which is replaceable). My big issue with it has been the fact that the rubber tip is a bit too 'squashy' for my liking. Basically it compresses too much which means that you end up with a relatively large surface area in contact with the screen which can reduce accuracy. I'm planning to try and fix this by inserting some rubber inside the hollow tip, but am not sure if it'll work.

I've also recently tried the 3M Smart Pen stylus. This is smaller than the Wacom and lighter, but still feels solid and is well built. This pen has a hard rubber nib, within a traditional squishy rubber tip, which means that you have to press the tip in a few mm to make contact with the solid nib, but once you do it's a really responsive pen. Not sure which one I like best, but keen to try the tru glide and stylus r us which both look great.

tomapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot to add that I use a Matt finish screen protector (Power Support HD Antiglare) and I find that this greatly reduced friction when compared to writing on the glass or a shiny screen protector, which also enhances writing with a stylus.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a stylus junkie, I use handwriting apps daily on my iPad so I'm always on the look out for something that will work comfortably and beatifully with my writing style and my iPad.

iFaraday RxII - absolutely love this stylus, this is always with me and is used daily, great feel in my hand, love the tip which is made out of a cloth material and it seems to be filled (not hollow like many others) so you don't have to apply too much pressure at all, absolute LOVE this stylus ... iFaraday Store

Adonit Pro - this is the only stylus I'll put my iFaraday down for, this is EXCELLENT for handwriting ... fine tip that you can see, my handwriting looks 'normal' when I use this, very precise and very comfortable to use, LOVE this stylus too but just for handwriting purpose (which I do a lot of) Jot Pro | Adonit - Jot iPad Stylus, Writer iPad keyboardAdonit – Jot iPad Stylus, Writer iPad keyboard

Alupen - this is always with me also but I don't pull it out much, this is a rubber type tip, chunky in your hand and I like it, great weight to it, I'll go to this one if my hand needs a break or if I'm playing games etc, I have nothing against this stylus at all actually love it too ... just not my go-to for my grown-up/work use Just Mobile Xtand - Stand for iPhone / iPod touch / MacBook

SecondShells - I just purchased this one with hopes that I would love it but not so much ... nano-fabric tip but it seems hollow which makes me have to apply more pressure than what I want to apply and it makes it a slightly uncomfortable thing, it's small and compact, has a nifty clip and you have the option to click the stylus 'shut' so the tip isn't exposed, this one sits on my desk at work just in case I need to grab something quick and I don't have the others just sitting out SecondShells fabric stylus pen' s glides smoothly acrossl touchscreens and enhances your ability to draw, sketch and write on any touch screen

Good luck on your stylus quest, for handwriting I love my Adonit Pro and the iFaraday!

azt33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just ordered the Adonit Jot Pro, can't wait for it to arrive! I like the fact that it is magnetic a lot, so I don't necessarily have to carry it from one meeting to another. All I need right now is to find a good note and drawing app that can handle several projects...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Dieverdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like Penultimate and Noteshelf for managing multiple projects - I've gone over more to Noteshelf, but I think Penultimate might be better for the drawing end of things. I like the color range in Noteshelf and the ability to use various colored highlighters, too. And how you can vary the pen width to anything you want using a slider. It gives you loads of options for organizing your notebooks and you can even combine them into sets which is great.
Dieverdog

I just ordered the Adonit Jot Pro, can't wait for it to arrive! I like the fact that it is magnetic a lot, so I don't necessarily have to carry it from one meeting to another. All I need right now is to find a good note and drawing app that can handle several projects...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Dieverdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's funny - I had the exact same experience! Those are my two favorites also & I discovered them the same way.
Dieverdog

I use both Penultimate and Noteshelf for notetaking in meetings with Boxwave stylus. Love it. You don't need both of those, one will do, but i downloaded Penultimate first and then read reviews about Noteshelf and tried that and like it as well so i go back and forth which probably isn't the best way to do it.

tomapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dieverdog said:
That's funny - I had the exact same experience! Those are my two favorites also & I discovered them the same way.
Dieverdog

Same here! Although I use a Wacom Bamboo stylus. The main features I'd love to see added to make Noteshelf the perfect app are the ability to add shapes such as straight lines, squares etc, and the ability to zoom in on the page which enables you to take much more detailed notes. Notes Plus has both of these features but is nowhere near as intuitive to use.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I realize this is going to sound strange, since I have a few of these apps, but here is what I have and use in order from most frequent to least: Notability, Noteshelf, Penultimate, Note Taker HD, Notes Plus. If I could just take the things I like from each one and create 'my' perfect note app it would be so much simpler.

axis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just received my first stylus in the post this morning. It's an Alupen type stylus that I picked up very cheap from a company here in the UK.

I quite like it. My first impressions are that its very good for the money.
It has a nice weight and doesn't need too much pressure to work properly.
It glides over the screen very well and the rubber tip appears to be a soft composite so hopefully no risk of scratching the screen!
I don't think it will be that great for handwriting, it being a chunky crayon style but it's not bad for use as a jotter or a doodle pen.
I'll give it some use over the next few weeks to see how I get on with it and may invest in a more professional stylus for writing and drawing but for now I'm happy.

The biggest plus I have found in the few short hours of use I have given it so far is that my screen is very clean - no more grubby finger marks!

ohnoitsbrandon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using the Wacom Bamboo Stylus for the last couple days and I love it. It's aesthetically pleasing, feels good in my hand and writes well on the apps I use (Bamboo Paper, UPAD, Sketch). I did find the tip a bit 'squishy' so I added a little bit of soft rubber and I find is works better.

I also ordered the TruGlide Stylus. I want to compare the tips to see what I like more.

wmadan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using the Wacom Bamboo Stylus for the last couple days and I love it. It's aesthetically pleasing, feels good in my hand and writes well on the apps I use (Bamboo Paper, UPAD, Sketch). I did find the tip a bit 'squishy' so I added a little bit of soft rubber and I find is works better.

I also ordered the TruGlide Stylus. I want to compare the tips to see what I like more.

You sound a lot like me. I bought the Bamboo stylus and really liked it, except that after two weeks the rubber nib developed a tear in it. So now I have a TruGlide stylus coming from Amazon. I am hoping that it is more durable.

Most reactions

Latest posts