What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad still top tablet but keeps shedding market share

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup. A visit to CNET sure makes depressing reading. Analysts and column authors seem poised to wipe Cupertino off the map. The iPad has crashed to...er...first place in the tablet market with a massive drop in percentage points, although this slightly masks an increase in sales volume over the previous year. Conversely, Samsung did astonishingly well, blinding the opposition with a positively SCINTILLATING 15% of the market. Say it slowly. It makes that 15 sound bigger.

Meanwhile analysts see the introduction of the 128Gb iPad as a backs-to-the-wall defense against the amazing market performance of the...um...Nook and...erm...what was it called again? Oh yeah! Surface. Nothing positive about this baby. Apple's last gasp before they switch off the lights and go home.

Actually, according to CNET, it was all over 2 years ago. 2011 is when Apple died. It's just that nobody in Cupertino has noticed their death, so they just keep going through the motions, a bit like undead creatures of horror and imagination.

Hmmmm. Imagination. Now there's a thought. Could it be that CNET are simply reporting the news they wish was true?

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup. A visit to CNET sure makes depressing reading. Analysts and column authors seem poised to wipe Cupertino off the map. The iPad has crashed to...er...first place in the tablet market with a massive drop in percentage points, although this slightly masks an increase in sales volume over the previous year. Conversely, Samsung did astonishingly well, blinding the opposition with a positively SCINTILLATING 15% of the market. Say it slowly. It makes that 15 sound bigger.

Meanwhile analysts see the introduction of the 128Gb iPad as a backs-to-the-wall defense against the amazing market performance of the...um...Nook and...erm...what was it called again? Oh yeah! Surface. Nothing positive about this baby. Apple's last gasp before they switch off the lights and go home.

Actually, according to CNET, it was all over 2 years ago. 2011 is when Apple died. It's just that nobody in Cupertino has noticed their death, so they just keep going through the motions, a bit like undead creatures of horror and imagination.

Hmmmm. Imagination. Now there's a thought. Could it be that CNET are simply reporting the news they wish was true?

Cnet didn't produce these numbers; IDC did. The numbers have been reported by lots of tech and news sites -- a quick Google search will pop them up.

This is from TUAW, which is dedicated to all things Apple, for instance:
http://www.tuaw.com/2013/01/31/idc-apple-leads-in-tablet-shipments-but-overall-market-share-s/

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The numbers are beyond dispute Kay.

I'm simply noting the skew in the way they are reported, particularly by the quoted analysts. There seems to be a rush to the bottom going on here, with a will to find something, anything, negative in every move Apple makes.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The way I see it, this only makes sense. Cheap alternatives are bound to draw in customers to those devices. The real question -- in my mind -- is who is making profit. Apple won't be top dog forever...its time in the sun will come sooner or later. What they have achieved is recorded in history, however. I think most "analysts" are just penning words so they can get paid. I don't put a lot of stock in what they have to say...most of it any of us could easily surmise and have. We just don't get paid to type it up.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The numbers are beyond dispute Kay.

I'm simply noting the skew in the way they are reported, particularly by the quoted analysts. There seems to be a rush to the bottom going on here, with a will to find something, anything, negative in every move Apple makes.

iPad to woo more corporate customers this year, says analyst | Apple - CNET News

Weak Android, Windows competition keeps iPad on top, says analyst | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

Analyst: iPad 2 could lead to glut of rival tablets | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews

iSuppli analyst on iPad vs. Android tablets (Q&A) | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
AQ_OC said:
The way I see it, this only makes sense. Cheap alternatives are bound to draw in customers to those devices. The real question -- in my mind -- is who is making profit. Apple won't be top dog forever...its time in the sun will come sooner or later. What they have achieved is recorded in history, however. I think most "analysts" are just penning words so they can get paid. I don't put a lot of stock in what they have to say...most of it any of us could easily surmise and have. We just don't get paid to type it up.

Actually, what most analysts are doing, is protecting their collective ASSets.
The Wall Street penguins misread the vital signs - as they often do. They jumped in the water enmasse on the way up, and now they're doing likewise on the way down.

The lesson in all of this, keep buying the products that do what you want them to do and, take profits when analyst hype sucks all the oxygen out of the room.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, what most analysts are doing, is protecting their collective ASSets.
The Wall Street penguins misread the vital signs - as they often do. They jumped in the water enmasse on the way up, and now they're doing likewise on the way down.

The lesson in all of this, keep buying the products that do what you want them to do and, take profits when analyst hype sucks all the oxygen out of the room.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Analysts are like people in any other field: There are good ones and there are bad ones.

Most reactions