What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad shuts down unexpectedly.

siriuslight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

My ipad (running on iOS6) just keeps shutting down showing a low battery red icon after I've power on it more about a minute or so.
I've plugged it with a AC power adapter and attempt to power on it and it works fine showing that there is still 75% battery life.
I've downloaded Battery Doctor application and it shows the same amount of battery life left as well.
After that , I've unplugged it from my AC power adapter and my Ipad shuts down again with the low batter red icon !!!

I'm puzzled what happened?? The ipad was still working fine 2 days ago before this problem happens...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like a battery/hardware problem.

But:

Try a reset. If that does not work I'd consider contacting Apple. If you're iPad is less than a year old it is still under hardware warrantee. If you bought AppleCare, then you have two years.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart. takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
S

siriuslight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for your feedback.

I've tried resetting it, but it does not help. In fact I've tried resetting it twice (with iPad plugged with AC power adpater).
First time after reset, the battery indicator shows 100% charged.
The second time after reset, battery indicator shows 94%.
After that , I've unplugged it from my AC power adapter and my Ipad shuts down again.

My iPad is no longer under warranty. Is it more of a hardware or battery issue??

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It sure sounds like a battery issue.

Apple charges about $100 to replace a battery (last time I looked). You may find a cheaper repair service, but make sure they are Apple certified or otherwise have a good reputation. If a battery is damaged when installed it can cause a fire hazard. It's not common, but it has made the news once or twice.

You could also try a full restore, with the iPad plugged into iTunes. Since the iPad runs plugged in.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts