What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad security

kitkay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am deploying ipads in our company and security being the main concern, is having a passcode the only option? If the iPad gets stolen can the thief restore it or get in to the iPad despite having a password?

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
passcode is the only option to lock the iPad and you can turn off the simple passcode to make one alpha numeric password if you want to. In a situation that the iPad get stolen the thief can restore the iPad and go on, however he will not have access to the data that was in the iPad because restore with wipe all clean.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Under Settings > Passcode Lock, you can elect that an iPad automatically erase all its data after 10 failed passcode attempts.

You also can set up Find My iPad for free, which helps track a lost or stolen iPad's location. Apple - iPad 2 - How to set up Find My iPad That feature might be temporarily unavailable for new setups because Mobile Me new accounts have been suspended till iOS 5 comes online in the fall. (ETA is fall, not any more specific for now.) With Find My iPad, you can wipe an iPad's content remotely and send an audio and text alert to the iPad if it's online.

By the way, hackers have shown that it takes about a minute to break the passcode on iDevices, if they know what they're doing, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, current iPad passcode lock is limited to numbers. If Apple allowed use of the entire keyboard, we could set stronger passwords.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But, you can set up a stronger password.

In Settings > Passcode Lock, turn OFF the "Simple Passcode." Then, you'll get a full keyboard so you can input all kinds of passwords, to include letters (capitalized or not), numbers and special characters.

And, you get to see/use a black keyboard. Which is kinda cool...

Marilyn

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But, you can set up a stronger password.

In Settings > Passcode Lock, turn OFF the "Simple Passcode." Then, you'll get a full keyboard so you can input all kinds of passwords, to include letters (capitalized or not), numbers and special characters.

And, you get to see/use a black keyboard. Which is kinda cool...

Marilyn

That's great to learn. I'd set up the longer passcode, but I think it defaults to the number pad when you set it up, and I didn't realize you could change it again and it would offer you the full keyboard. I just did that. Great to keep learning stuff that helps boost iPad use. Thank you.

OP
K

kitkay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is using a 'phrase' password difficult to hack then a number password or have both been cracked by the underworld?

I have all our users on 'find my ipad' and on wipe after 10 incorrect password, so thanks for that.

apple2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so with the multiple passcode,when someone stole mine,it would unable for him to get in an d us,is that right?

maxmillion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to investifate FDE - full disk encryption for the iPAD - Anything less is a major risk.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is using a 'phrase' password difficult to hack then a number password or have both been cracked by the underworld?

I have all our users on 'find my ipad' and on wipe after 10 incorrect password, so thanks for that.

Best to use a combo of symbols, numbers and letters, with a mix of upper and lowercase. Don't use real words, like ones you can look up in a dictionary.

If you google something like "strong password," you'll find lots of info and sites where your users can test whether a password is strong.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so with the multiple passcode,when someone stole mine,it would unable for him to get in an d us,is that right?

I think a thief could reset it and still use it. But you want to protect your info (making it automatically wipeable even remotely), because your info is more valuable than your iPad.

rainman4tech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strong Passwords

More and more we work on our password attack use upper case, use lower case, use symbols, use numbers, don't use dictionary words and on and on. How much is enough to cover your assets and keep you out of trouble? Good page to get the jest of it is GRC's | Password Haystacks: How Well Hidden is Your Needle?   Steve has a way of boiling it down so we can understand it but short story is make it easy to remember but make it long. Password cracking is not like hand grenades close doesn't count the guess is either right or wrong. It's better to use 3 dictionary words padded out with something extra than to use chatter that you can't remember so you use something shorter.

Rainman

Most reactions

Latest posts