What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad reset question.

geo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 1 that I want to give to a friend. If I do a reset--erase all content and settings--will the iPad lose the IOS updates that I have done or will it stay at version 5.0.1?
Thanks

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's so nice of you to give your iPad to a friend and yes it will stay at 5.0.1

Sent from my iPad using iPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, if you are asking about the terms 'Restart' and 'Reset', then check HERE - a reset is like a 'hard reboot' and your apps, data, etc. are not deleted from the iPad - I don't believe that is the option you want?

Now, a 'Restore' - check HERE for a more detailed discussion; this choice will return your iPad to its original factory settings, including the iOS present when purchased; your apps and data will be deleted - hope this helps; if not, please post back to this thread - good luck! :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
giradman said:
Well, if you are asking about the terms 'Restart' and 'Reset', then check HERE - a reset is like a 'hard reboot' and your apps, data, etc. are not deleted from the iPad - I don't believe that is the option you want?

Now, a 'Restore' - check HERE for a more detailed discussion; this choice will return your iPad to its original factory settings, including the iOS present when purchased; your apps and data will be deleted - hope this helps; if not, please post back to this thread - good luck! :)

I thought the same thing here too Giradman in regard to using the word reset. But when done from the iPad you go to Settings - General - RESET - erase all content and settings. It is a little contradictory to say the least.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
leelai said:
I thought the same thing here too Giradman in regard to using the word reset. But when done from the iPad you go to Settings - General - RESET - erase all content and settings. It is a little contradictory to say the least.

Well, some confusing terminology, I guess - :(

The 'reset' options on the iPad are many - not sure if best to use that choice vs. a 'restore' via iTunes? The 2nd link given in my post offers advice on these choices. Hopefully, some of our members who may have perform this process on their iPad will 'chime in' - cheers! Dave :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings will wipe out everything except the latest version of firmware that you've upgraded to since getting your iPad.

I've done it on several iDevices.

katefehl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Leelai, I have just reset using "Settings>General>Reset etc and I currently have just a small Apple Icon and a white bar that is "stuck" at just over half way across the screen. I plugged in the power cable as the battery was below 30% when I reset the ipad. It doesn't appear to be "doing" anything at present. I guess I just have to wait - but for how long???

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
katefehl said:
Leelai, I have just reset using "Settings>General>Reset etc and I currently have just a small Apple Icon and a white bar that is "stuck" at just over half way across the screen. I plugged in the power cable as the battery was below 30% when I reset the ipad. It doesn't appear to be "doing" anything at present. I guess I just have to wait - but for how long???

I have not had a need to do this as yet so I don't know how long that would take and I guess it depends on which option you chose. I wouldn't think it would take very long though. The white bar is showing its progress.
How long has it been going for now?
Hopefully someone who has done this, will chime in here.

Most reactions

Latest posts