What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad remote support

mlaurencg4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a retired guy in Canada. I use TeamViewer to remotely provide mac + pc coaching / support to a large number of retirees in several countries. Now many of my clients are purchasing iPads. Currently Skype is my only solution to work with from one to four persons (my own limit) simultaneously. I'm sure by now you can envision camera 2: my fixed (yes, duct tape) hi-res webcam 12" away from the iPad, providing my clients a shared view of the "how-to-demo". While it works, I really yearn for the shared remote desktop of the mac + pc versions of TeamViewer.

It seems to me that if a wired or wireless representation of my iPad can be projected onto a screen in my house, then the technology should be capable of handling the same for a screen 12000 Kms away. Does anyone have any knowledge of any other solution available at this time for iPad to iPad support? Does anyone have any knowledge of why TeamViewer can not yet provide this capability? Is there some reason why Apple would not wish to enable this capability?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
TeamView can not do it because it would mean that TeamView was running at the same time as the app you are demoing; and more importantly would be able to access encode, and transmit that app's screen. Apple's sandboxing approach makes this impossible with an App Store app, and probably very difficult even with a jailbreak.

What you might be able to do is use the HDMI cable and some other equipment to mirror your iPad to the Mac, and combine that with whatever remote viewing software you have available for that platform.

These two links, though not recent, might give you some ideas.

Recording iPad mirrored video to mac, cheap an dirty
iPad 2 video mirroring to Mac, the cheap and dirty way | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Record iPad mirrored video to Mac, the better way
iPad 2 mirroring: Capturing video in higher definition | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

OP
M

mlaurencg4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerppoet you've inspired me into creative problem solving mode this morning - thanks!

Re: Teamviewer, I suspected that sandboxing would render its current solution ineffective. However, as you suggest, I think that within my Mac there is a solution. Today i'll try to use my Canopus ADVC 110 as the bridge - will report back what happens.

Thanks again for the helpful insights!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad to be of some help, any way.

I look forward to whatever you find out. Even if I never need it, I love knowing what can be done.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Forgot to mention I saw it first on today's TUAW TV Live podcast; though he was careful not to reveal what app was being used. Another place you can get a look at what might be possible.

Most reactions

Latest posts