What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad purchased to replace several other devices

Elminster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Not got around to posting an intro thread until now.

Ipad bought to replace Sony book reader, nokia n800 tablet and partially a netbook mackintosh, see blog for more details rather than me repeat it all.

I also own an iPod touch 1st gen, which will be replaced by an iPhone 4 in November (also replacing my nokia 5800 phone).

Last edited:

Habry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good entries at your blog. My experience is similar. It took me about forty seconds, on the Apple Store, to figure that the iPad could replace my laptop(s).

I needed to learn about two basic things: battery life & the keyboard. On the former I had to trust the assurances of Apple Elves, who turned out to be right. (As most readers here will attest, the batteries are terrific.) What surprised me was the keyboard, esp. in landscape mode. Even in the store, I was faster on the iPad's keys than on my cherished, clicky, full-travel white-slider desktop keyboard.

In the months since, using my iPad as my sole portable computer, I've realized that many of us were sold a bill of goods for years. If we didn't have to use special professional software, we generally didn't need our laptops to be full desktop replacements. So I ain't buyin' no more laptops; this little slab of glass is all I need to get real work done.

OP
E

Elminster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear you had similiar experiences. Also the iPad is so easy to use, even my 2 year old can unlock iPad, scroll through screen to find her games, start them, play them, exit and go to the next.

Biggest problem is actually getting time to use the iPad myself!

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For a small device to instantly turn on and surf the web, or use google maps with (3G) was key. The great battery life is also a plus. I use about 30% a day.

I did sell my laptop as this will do everything I need it too as a mobile device. However it won't replace the desktop. I need somewhere to store my videos and photos.

It's soon replace my iPhone. That battery sucks, and it's just not as fast. Oh well.

Most reactions

Latest posts