What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Pro & iMac Won't Connect Wirelessly

Phlurim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I try to Bluetooth "pair" my new iPad Pro 9.7 (iOS 10.1.1) with my iMac El Capitan (21.5", mid-2011, OS X 10.11.6), I get a "successful connection" message from both devices. But the connection drops out after only 4-5 seconds. Both devices indicate right away that they are no longer connected. I also can't seem to get them to connect via Airdrop, even though Airdrop appears in the iMac's Finder and in the iPad's Share menu. {I thought only "Handoff" wouldn't work on my mid-2011 iMac.} There were no error messages - all indications seemed to point to them staying connected. My iPad also doesn't appear in my iMac's Finder when I connect them using USB. My iPad Pro isn't working exactly the way the Apple Store salesperson said it would easily converse with my "legacy" iMac! Any suggestions please, including any alternative ways to share files directly and quickly between both devices?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad isn't meant to connect to the iMac via bluetooth. Even if you get it to connect, there are no supported bluetooth services between the two devices. Handoff, AirDrop, and the other Mac to iOS services mostly use wi-if, not bluetooth. To the extent that iOS does use bluetooth for these services, it does not require pairing.

There is nothing that will make AirDrop and the other services work with your legacy iMac. If it is not new enough and/or does not have a new enough venison of OS X installed, it's not going to work. If it will work, all you need to do is enable it in Settings (on the Mac). You won't see the settings if the devices are not compatible.

Also, Airdrop on older Macs is not the same service as on iOS. It was originally intended to work between Macs, not iOS. The new AirDrop that works between Macs and iOS requires hardware support that does not exist in older Macs. (I believe it's dual wi-if radios and Blluetooth 4.0 that are required)

If you'll let us know what you were trying to get to work via Bluetooth, we might be able to suggest alternatives.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is correct, @twerppoet. In order for AirDrop to work, the Mac and iOS device must both have BlueTooth turned on, and be on the same network. If I understand it correctly, the devices find each other using BT and transfer data over the wifi connection.

AirDrop was broken by iOS10.0.1, but has been repaired by subsequent updates, so if it is not working, an iOS update is a good place to start.

I don't know which hardware is required on the Mac end for AirDrop to work. It works on my mid-2012 MBP.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
TP and Kevin have already explained the AirDrop requirements, which vary depending on both the hardware and the operating system installed, plus whether the transfer(s) is between iOS devices, Mac computers, or iOS-macOS interchanges. The quote below (Source) emphasizes that the Mac computers requires a 'modern' Wi-Fi chipset, as TP mentioned.

AirDrop support on a Mac computer can be checked several ways, including generating a System Report -> Wi-Fi - below is the report on my early 2013 MBPro showing support for the Apple technology. For a complete list of hardware/operating system requirements, check the link above - lists are at the end of the article. Dave :)

AirDrop debuted on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and iOS 7, but the two were not interoperable due to incompatible protocols. Starting with OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, AirDrop works between OS X and iOS more or less like a breeze.

However, AirDrop on Macs requires a modern Wi-Fi chipset, meaning older desktops and notebooks may be unsupported. Here’s how to tell if your Mac meets minimum system requirements for AirDrop.
Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 9.12.47 AM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts