What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad pro freezing up briefly

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad Pro 12.9” repeatedly freezes up for a fraction of a second to 5 seconds or so. Makes it impossible to type on it.

Details:
Software version 12.2
Available space 34 gigs
Background app refresh off
WiFi 5G
My iPhone and my wife’s iPad and iPhone are fine.

When I reboot it, it seems to be better for a little while, then starts it again.

Any suggestions?

Larry Cruzen

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the other apps you are using, especially any new or recently updated ones.

Use Battery in Settings to see if any apps seem to be on more often than you expect, especially in the background.

When the problem occurs, use the multitask screen to force quite apps one at a time, until the issue goes away.

FaceBook has been known to misbehave in the past. If you are using it, pay extra attention to how your iPad behaves when the app is in the background.

Background refresh does not stop all app background activity. It’s more about the app going to the internet and looking for content, so it it’s waiting for you instead of needling to load when you open the app. Music, maps, and some other app types are not affected. And then there are some apps that have been known to abuse their background privileges, like Facebook.

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you very much, Twerppoet. I never use Facebook, so I just deleted the app. Don’t think that was the problem.

There were no surprises under battery usage except for mail. There were two mail apps showing a lot of background running. One was Yahoo mail, which I use. The other was just called “mail”, which I assume is the Apple Mail app. It showed 1 1/2 hours running in the background in the last 10 days. I deleted it.

Yahoo mail showed 30 1/2 hours of background running and only 7 1/2 hours on screen. I think I have it set to fetch mail every 15 minutes, but I can’t find the setting to check It. I could decrease the fetch frequency if I could find where to do it.

As a point of interest, I have about 10,000 e-mails in my inbox… I haven’t cleaned it out for a couple of years. Since they are not stored on my computer, I didn’t see how that made any difference.

The problem is still with me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No further ideas. Sorry.

Deleting the Mail app might cause problems down the road. If you try to send something by email from another app, it uses the Mail app.

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oops. Apple mail is back, because I frequently e-mail out of other apps.

I’m wondering if every time I get an e-mail, the app sorts thru all e-mails in the inbox looking for a common thread? That would be a reason to keep a clean inbox. 30 1/2 hours running in the background in 10 days seems excessive.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That does seem like a lot of background activity. You might try deleting the Yahoo Mail app for a bit and see what happens. You can add your Yahoo account to Apple’s Mail app while you check out whether it makes a difference. Since it’s an IMAP account, this should not result in any missing emails.

If you prefer to keep using the Yahoo Mail interface, you can also access it through Safari while testing.

Go ahead and re-add the app afterwords, even if it solves the issue. Deleting and re-installing it might be all that’s needed.

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yesterday, while my wife was shopping for shoes, I sat in the lobby and deleted 9,989 emails, deleted and reinstalled Yahoo Mail and Apple mail apps, deleted all apps that were not used within the last year or so and read “War and Peace “.

This morning, my iPad seems to be working fine. Don’t know what stopped it from freezing up.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It was probably “War and Peace”. Never underestimate the power of literature.

Whatever it was, I’m glad it is working properly again.

Most reactions

Latest posts