What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Pro 2022?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm very undecided .......
I want to upgrade from the 11" iPad Pro to the 12.9", my dilemma is should I get the 2021 model or wait and see if Apple announce a new model this year, rumours suggest there will be one.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm very undecided .......
I want to upgrade from the 11" iPad Pro to the 12.9", my dilemma is should I get the 2021 model or wait and see if Apple announce a new model this year, rumours suggest there will be one.
It depends on how urgently you need the 12.9” iPad Pro. I would wait until the next Apple event at least, which will probably be in October. I am hoping Apple will bring out the MacBook Pro 14” with the M2 chip then!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm in a similar position. I have a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9, and want to upgrade. However, after much debating I had to admit that the old iPad is not keeping me from doing anything I 'need' to do. So I've decided to wait until the M2 iPads come out, at least for now. At least for now. There is no reason not to get the M1 iPad, other than I don't want to get caught in that (if I'd just waited another x months) moment of regret.

Not that I spend much time regeting those decisions. I buy my new devices based on what they do, not what the might not do in the future. The M1 iPad is a great upgrade that would be sure to take me years in the future. I'd love it. But since my current iPad is not causing issues, I can afford to wait.

There are a couple of things I'l like to be able to do with it, but since I also own an M1 MacBook Air, I can do those things there instead.

BTW, the various screen sharing, monitor extending, and other continuity features between the iPad and Mac are an awesome bonus when you own both. No enough to buy both if you don't want both, but great when you do.

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you both, your comments both make sense, I can wait, I'm just eager to have the bigger screen ......
TP your comments fit me too, I don't want to regret not waiting, I've done that in the past ....... so I'll wait patiently ....... actually that's a lie, I have no patience :)

By the way TP I too have the M1 MacBook Air, isn't it great, I always had MacBook Pro's in the past because the Air just didn't cut it but these new Airs are a game changer, when I'm ready for a new MacBook it will be an Air again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . . By the way TP I too have the M1 MacBook Air, isn't it great, I always had MacBook Pro's in the past because the Air just didn't cut it but these new Airs are a game changer, when I'm ready for a new MacBook it will be an Air again.

To be fair, the new MacBook Pros are pretty awesome too, just not noticeably faster for most people.

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The all new iPad Pro is here, in store now for ordering, it looks fantastic but the price here in the UK is eye watering ....
Very tempting though :)

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Having just bought an M2 MacBook Air, and already having 11” gen3 and gen4 iPad Pros, I reckon I’ll be giving the M2 iPad Pro a miss this time.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Having just bought an M2 MacBook Air, and already having 11” gen3 and gen4 iPad Pros, I reckon I’ll be giving the M2 iPad Pro a miss this time.
Yep, I'm in the market for a new laptop and will purchase the M2 MBAir soon - will replace my aging MBPro (2013) and MBAir (2015) both stuck on their current macOS - my current iPad Pro (2018 original one) is aging but serving my purposes fine (was replaced under AppleCare in 2020 because of a display issue, probably with a refurb having a 'new' battery; thus the battery date below) - the battery is in good condition, so will wait until the next model and decide - actually considering replacing my wife's Mini if a new one comes out?

QUESTION: For those who have the M2 MBAir, did you stick with the 8 GHz of RAM or increase? I'm planning on a 512 GB SSD and was thinking of going to 16 GHz RAM although from my reading the M2 chip seems to do fine at 8 GHz for most routine uses. Any thoughts appreciated. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 11.32.04 AM.png

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, having delved further into the specs of the new iPad Pro I find some features are the same as the 2021 model.
I wonder now if it's worth the extra money.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, having delved further into the specs of the new iPad Pro I find some features are the same as the 2021 model.
I wonder now if it's worth the extra money.

Depends on how much money you can save buying the 2021 iPad Pro instead.

My not entirely logical formula is to divide the price by the number of years you would expect to get out of the 2022 iPad Pro. If you can save more money than that by purchasing a 2021 model instead, then it's a deal.

Of course there are other reasons to choose the older model, such as not being able to afford the new one to begin with. But if it's just a mater of what's improved, that's the way I think of it.

If you were thinking "why replace the 2021 model with a 2022 model?", well there isn't a good reason. There almost never is a good reason to upgrade every year. It's year over year gains that make upgrading worth while. The 2022 iPad Pro is a nice improvement over my 2018 iPad Pro.

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, food for thought t
Depends on how much money you can save buying the 2021 iPad Pro instead.

My not entirely logical formula is to divide the price by the number of years you would expect to get out of the 2022 iPad Pro. If you can save more money than that by purchasing a 2021 model instead, then it's a deal.

Of course there are other reasons to choose the older model, such as not being able to afford the new one to begin with. But if it's just a mater of what's improved, that's the way I think of it.

If you were thinking "why replace the 2021 model with a 2022 model?", well there isn't a good reason. There almost never is a good reason to upgrade every year. It's year over year gains that make upgrading worth while. The 2022 iPad Pro is a nice improvement over my 2018 iPad Pro.
Hmmmm, food for thought there ...
I would save ÂŁ250, at the moment the 2021 model hasn't gone down in price but, it isn't an issue to get the new one.

One of the reasons I want to upgrade from my 2020 11" Pro is that I want the larger screen.

I don't use the Apple Pencil so that improvement doesn't affect me.

I would try to keep it for 3 years I'm thinking .
More thought :)

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
QUESTION: For those who have the M2 MBAir, did you stick with the 8 GHz of RAM or increase? I'm planning on a 512 GB SSD and was thinking of going to 16 GHz RAM although from my reading the M2 chip seems to do fine at 8 GHz for most routine uses. Any thoughts appreciated. Dave :)

I actually went for the 16Gb RAM and 512Gb SSD M2 MacBook Air and it fairly zips along with everything I throw at it.
Steve

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I actually went for the 16Gb RAM and 512Gb SSD M2 MacBook Air and it fairly zips along with everything I throw at it.
Steve
Thanks Steve - that's the configuration I'm planning to purchase also; but from reading the reviews 8 GB is said to be fine for most users (e.g. I have no plans to do hi-res video or audio editing, just the usual). Dave :)

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So...
I ended up getting the 2022 model, I managed to get a bit of discount and the 2021 models weren't coming down...
I've been trying to find out if 2021,cases fit the new ipad Pro, I believe dimensions are the same but I'm not sure about the camera and buttons...
Does anyone know if they're in the same place on both models?

Most reactions

Latest posts