What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which iPad pro?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a Mini 2, and my experience has been so good that I’m seriously considering making the iPad my main work tool. Seems the iPad Pro is the most serious model..the 12.9” model the biggest..

is there a particular model I should go for? Costco’s about to offer $100 off on the 12” Pro 256mb. On Apple’s refurb site, I see Pros from 2015 and 2017.

The faster chip seems like the better choice.

I’m awash in choices..a good problem. Any advantage to a Pro in the smaller size? Does the extra dough for the Pro result in a much better machine? the benches I’ve seen are impressive..

Any advice appreciated. Thank you!

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What are your use cases? Is portability an important factor? Is using a stylus necessary? What do you like / don’t like about your current mini?

I would recommend considering the above when making your decision. Both the 10.5 and second gen 12.9 are the same spec wise. The 10.5 seems to preferred for portability vs 12.9 but the 12.9 is preferred by many artists for the screen size. The 2017 fifth gen is nothing to sneeze at either if your looking for a tablet for mainly media consumption and are on a budget.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thank you, Brian;

I am an artist..I’m also a power user. I want the throughput and the work area.

When I look at the 12.9” I think both, “wow..that’s big,” and, “wow! Look at all that ROOM!”

I have a 12” mac book pro which I often work on in bed or on a couch, computer on my knees.

the larger size goes quickly from nice to have to must have the instant I start doing serious work: photo editing/manipulation, illustration, layout, video.

the nimble portability of the Mini 2 turns into a real conversation constraint.

I guess I just answered my question about size...so the A10x is the current fastest/highest throughput iPad chip?

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The A10x is the highest for the iPad until June ish. Then the next gen iPads will roll out. So I guess it’ll depend on how much of a hurry you are in. The current gen iPad pros have tons of horsepower to get things done and likely will for a while to come. But if you want the bleeding edge then wait 3-4 months.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sounds like good advice. the mini 2 I have is a very capable machine which sometimes gets bogged down, pro benchmarks are vastly higher than for my mini..I think Id be quite happy with the A10X

Deezus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wound up with the 10.5 and Apple Pencil. Doing photo editing mainly but as it turns out, I have rarely picked up my laptop since this purchase. Love this thing

Agreed! I have a custom PC but I use for gaming. Other than that, work, school work, video editing, browsing, reading, etc. all on this iPad Pro 10.5!

Most reactions

Latest posts