What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad plastic bulge?

Steelerdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was checking my iPad closely to to clean and a noticed the black rubber that is between the glass and the silver edge was bulging out of one of the corners. Anyone have that problem? Do u think apple can fix or replace? I don't want it completely come off of it's track.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First I've heard of it. Did you drop it? You're probably better off contacting Apple for repair / replacement before it gets worse.

iDharma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is that a bulge on your iPad or are you just happy to see me? J/K!

I agree...get that fixed while you're under warranty. Faults like that tend to get worse over time (and exposure to various ambient conditions—moisture, heat, etc—which may aggravate the problem).

OP
S

Steelerdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Idharma that was funny! I don't recall droping and it's covered by a leather sleeve with plastic protected screen.if I take to apple store will they give me a new one or a refurb?It's just a littlte piece on the corner curve.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure you have all of your apps backed up before you take it in.
You don't have to backup your apps since Apple will let you download them again for free. You do need to backup any music or video you have purchased as well as any items you created with your apps (like pages docs). Just sync your iPad to your computer before you visit Apple and you should be good.

I would make an appointment via Apple's website or iPhone app. It will save you a lot of waiting at the store.

Please let us know what they do to fix your issue. Good luck.

OP
S

Steelerdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The results

Well I took my iPad to my nearest apple store in Rancho Cucamanga,ca I had an appointment at 12 to 12:10 pm. Due to a flat tire and a freeway that's was closed I was late 1 minute.It was a mad house and more cuz the store is so small. Anyway my name had been called. I talk to a employee and they too care of me right away. She saw my iPad and noticed the rubber sticking out a bit and right away said " oh okay we will replace it". So out she comes with a iPad. I ask her if it was a refurb she said "no". It's cheaper to give out new obese than refurbs she said. I took like ten minutes and I was out of there. I also but the apple slip cover that is so hard to find at regular stores like best buy. So it was a good experience. Later guys!

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Good deal, glad they took care of you. Also, don't be afraid of refurbished from Apple. I've bought several refurbished items from their online store and you would never know the difference. Since it has the same warranty, the refurb store is always the first place I look for things.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Almost everything I get from Apple is refurbished. In fact the iPad may be my first apple purchase in years that wasn't. I just bought a new MacBook that is due tomorrow, but refurbished was $1019 and new education price was $1099 and you get a free iPod Touch. I don't need a Touch, but I love a good deal.

Azieser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Almost everything I get from Apple is refurbished. In fact the iPad may be my first apple purchase in years that wasn't. I just bought a new MacBook that is due tomorrow, but refurbished was $1019 and new education price was $1099 and you get a free iPod Touch. I don't need a Touch, but I love a good deal.

Wow that is a good deal! I may have to take a class or two to get in on the student deals if they are still running them. I also prefer to purchase refurbished items. The main advantage of them is that they were actually taken apart and checked over by a tech. New ones are simply assembled and shipped, maybe one in 100 is actually tested.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Wow that is a good deal! I may have to take a class or two to get in on the student deals if they are still running them. I also prefer to purchase refurbished items. The main advantage of them is that they were actually taken apart and checked over by a tech. New ones are simply assembled and shipped, maybe one in 100 is actually tested.

Exactly, plus, if there are any parts that have been updated and modified since the initial production run, the newer parts are installed.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I'm a big fan of refurbs. Often they are more reliable since any manufacturing defects have been corrected. Someone has turned it on and checked it out.

Glad they took care of you - I have a similar bulge, but its from a 1 ft drop, so I dont think they will cover that. Luckily I had it in the leather case that helped cushion the fall. It about gave me a heart attack though.

Most reactions

Latest posts