What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 edge coming apart!!

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. I see it clear as day. Did you call Apple? You should let them know of the issue before it get worse.

OP
F

free0rda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!! I do plan on calling apple soon as the issue has actually gotten slightly worse. I'll most likely inquire about swapping my iPad by shipping it, depending on how long it will take (don't really want to go without this thing for too long as its pretty well replaced my laptop :p ). As for the 3G issues, it's definitely my service provider, as well as the thick walls in my school. Everything else is still working quite fine.

Thanks again for the suggestions,
free0rda

AppleOwl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad 2 also has the same issue. The black plastic part is slightly separated from the glass on the top left corner (near the headphone jack) and the metal edge is slightly separated from the black plastic on the lower left corner.

Is this issue really serious that I need to go get an exchange? Or is it just merely more of a cosmetic issue? I'm scared of swapping it and then getting a new ipad 2, only to find that it suffers from some of the many other more serious complaints that others have brought up. I just worry that dust or other small particles may get into my device and cause any kind of long term damage.

Dawgfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad 2 also has the same issue. The black plastic part is slightly separated from the glass on the top left corner (near the headphone jack) and the metal edge is slightly separated from the black plastic on the lower left corner.

Is this issue really serious that I need to go get an exchange? Or is it just merely more of a cosmetic issue? I'm scared of swapping it and then getting a new ipad 2, only to find that it suffers from some of the many other more serious complaints that others have brought up. I just worry that dust or other small particles may get into my device and cause any kind of long term damage.

One of the ones I returned looked like it was in the early stages of this.. no real separation but it wasn't as flush as the rest. Bottom left area, left of home button.

Reaction score
Wow. I see it clear as day. Did you call Apple? You should let them know of the issue before it get worse.

Even if there is nothing done for the time being I agree call Apple and get an issue ticket in place.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

iPad_Jedi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I just received my iPad yesterday. Does this gap look normal? I inspected around the whole device and only this area suffered from the gap. Notice the seam line closes up on the two opposite ends after the gap. I guess I will be making a trip to the Apple store to compare.

iPad_Gap.jpg

Last edited:

uv147

iPF Noob
Reaction score
About Every ipad 2 and ipad 3 have this issue and even in the same spots, and also after looking a bit at my ipad i saw black marks under the glued areas, and the same goes for the demo ipads in the store, so in my opinion this is a part of the design!
also, a lot of Manufacturers glue the parts like that so the products will become nore tolerant in extreme temperatures.

and if you'll notice in 1:19 in the following video that the women installing the screen is not glueing all of it but just cetain parts of it:

every apple genius will tell you that this is normal, because this is a part of the design.

problem solved
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

phee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just noticed mine is also coming apart on the right side from home key. WTH

Most reactions