What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Pixels

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently i've been having a problem with the screen on my iPad 2.
One of two things has been happening. One of them is that occasionally some pixels will start flashing very slightly in parts of the screen. Or, i'll be able to see a very very faded outline of the most prominent things from the last app I used. I can clear the first one by leaving the screen off for about 30 secs and I can sort the other by changing my wallpaper. Neither of the above happen every time I leave an app, but probably one or the other happens 1 out of maybe every 30 times I shut an app.
I've only noticed this since the last update, but whether it's because of the update or whether it's because my iPad 2 is now a couple of months old and something's gone wrong i'm not sure.

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated, thanks.
PS, anyone having the same problem?
Thanks

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The second issue is called "burn in". It happens when an image is left on the screen for a long period of time. It's generally nothing to worry about as it will fade and disappear completely, usually fairly quickly but sometimes it takes a little while.

The first issue however is worrisome. Individual or even groups of pixels should not "flash" or act that way, it's not normal and would have nothing to do with an update.

Since your iPad is still under warranty I would take it to an Apple store if there's one nearby. Ideally I'd take it in when it's happening, but we all know how that goes. In any case, I would certainly open a case so that if they don't replace it now you have a record of the issue for replacement sometime down the road.

If you can't get to a store you can call them:

U.S. Technical Support: 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273)

Here is the contact information for Apple around the world:

Contacting Apple for support and service

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

OP
MrLuke

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay thanks, I thought it was probably burn in. As far a the pixel flashing goes. It's only happened about 3 times, and even then it's only slightly noticeable. If it does it again i'll be sure to take it in. Thanks a lot, the advice is greatly appreciated.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay thanks, I thought it was probably burn in. As far a the pixel flashing goes. It's only happened about 3 times, and even then it's only slightly noticeable. If it does it again i'll be sure to take it in. Thanks a lot, the advice is greatly appreciated.
My pleasure! I don't know if what you're seeing can be captured, but if it happens again you could try taking a screenshot. Hold down the power switch (outer edge) and the home button (circular button on the face of the iPad) at the same time and release. The screen will flash white for a moment, you'll hear a camera sound and a picture of the screen will be stored on your camera roll in your Photos app. I was just thinking that if you could capture what it looks like you'd have a pretty strong case for replacement...if it continues to happen.

Best of luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts