What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad OS 15.1: enable MMS Messaging?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tried to send an attachment to a person via Messages - a conversation that has been working, has enabled me to send attachments. This morning, I’m told I must enable MMS messaging to send attachments.
In Settings > Messages, I see neither hide nor hair of the SMS/MMS Section, and no MMS Messaging to turn on.

Can anyone advise how to acquire, or perhaps restore this functionality?

Many thanks….trying to share a Great recipe with my niece..so..the mission is worthy!

:)

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you..that was already on. Is there yet another piece to enable sending files?

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yep. that’s already on, too.

last week, I had “Message” under Settings turned off. Suddenly, the devices became agnostic of the chats. I turned it back on, but things have been weird ever since.

Do I need maybe to more thoroughly turn things off, then re-config them? Has something like a prefs file been damaged, or not getting the message in some way?

Thank you!

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
yep. that’s already on, too.

last week, I had “Message” under Settings turned off. Suddenly, the devices became agnostic of the chats. I turned it back on, but things have been weird ever since.

Do I need maybe to more thoroughly turn things off, then re-config them? Has something like a prefs file been damaged, or not getting the message in some way?

Thank you!
You could try resetting all settings, but you will need to go through all your settings to restore them as they were.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’m not sure it’s possible to directly send files via MMS. It’s an old service that extends SSM to be able to send pictures and videos, usually at a much reduced size. I can’t find obvious optoins to add files to a message (even on the iPhone), but there are ways, three I can think of.

1) Open the Files app, find the file, long press to get the pop-up menu and choose Share, choose the Message app.

2) Same, but choose to copy the file instead of share, then open the Message app and paste it into the text field.

3) Open the File app next to the Message app using either slideover or split view. Drag and drop the file into the message app conversation.

These all work on Apple’s iMessage service. I don’t now if they will work outside it over SSM and MMS to other platforms.

If I’ve misunderstood the issue, I’m sorry.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you, twerppoet - I think you understand the issue. I just tried your method #1 from above, from within Photos:

Found a photo to send
Long-pressed, selected Share
Pointed to the conversation in Messages in question and pressed the Send icon
Image appears to have been sent. I watched the progress bar / line that appears at the top of the conversation window just beneath the name of the conversee.

Got no message warning me that something had to be enabled.

Could it be that the network just blipped out in that moment when I did get an error message?

Also, we have a downstairs tenant who has several gadgets going..we think they might be influencing our wifi connection…They have Alexa, and a Peloton and maybe one other thing - all using wifi.

Can devices which use wifi disrupt the wifi-connectivity of other, nearby devices trying to use the same wifi?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Each Wifi hotspot has a certain amount of available bandwidth. Multiple devices using the same hotspot will cause a slowdown in download and upload speeds. Too much slowdown and you’ll have trouble with being able to properly connect.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’m glad you got it to work.

If you are using the same wi-fi network and/or ISP connection, it’s as SciFan said, it’s mostly a mater of how much bandwidth is avaialable. If you are using two different wi-fi networks they can interfere with eachother if they are set to use the same channel. If they are set up automatically, they should choose different channels, but that is not guaranteed. You might have to dig into the channel settings of each one to make sure they are different. The more seperatoins from the channels of other nearby wi-fi nets you have, the less likely there will be interference.

Most reactions

Latest posts