What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad not connecting to itunes

Floyd Watson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using win 8.1 and the latest ITunes when I plug in my ipad a window opens to Internal storage. Nothing shows up in ITunes. Seems like the Ipad is defaulted to Internal Storage. Any ideas on how to fix? I'm not a PC wiz!

OP
Floyd Watson

Floyd Watson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help! I tried all of those items. It seems that when I plug in my iPad it use to open in iTunes and I could sync ok, now when I plug in my iPad a windows window opens to Internal Storage, like it's defaulted to open there. I don't know how to stop that.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another thought:

There is a setting in iTunes that determines whether iTunes opens when your iPad is plugged in. I think it's in the first INFO sync tab (visible only when an iPad is plugged in and selected). But I'm not sure.

Regardless of whether the setting is turned on or not, iTunes should recognize and show your iPad when the app is launched and the iPad plugged in. If you have not done so, give a it a try. Launch iTunes on the computer and plug the iPad in.

Windows will pull another trick besides iTunes. You iPad should show up as a USB drive. The only folders available this way are the DCIM folder (camera roll) and any imported albums (imported from cameras or SD cards).

It is also possible for Windows to end up recognizing the iPad as a camera and launching a photo app. It's been too long since I've used Windows to remember how to set/unset this behavior.

It's not a bad idea to go to Apple's site, the iTunes tab and make sure you are running the most recent version of iTunes for your version of Windows.

OP
Floyd Watson

Floyd Watson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally got apples help and fixed the problem. After I downloaded a new version of iTunes apparently some files didn't download. So I had to uninstall all items associated with Apple plus Bonjure and reinstalled iTunes. It worked! A very big thanks to all that helped!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think it might be a good idea for Windows users to create a restore point before updating iTunes, particularly if they have not been having any problems. Then if an update causes issues, it's a simple matter to roll back to the restore point, download iTunes again and reinstall. iTunes is a huge program, with a vast array of functions. Given that, and the possibility of a corrupt download, it's easy to see where problems can creep in.

Most reactions

Latest posts