What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad new generation vs blackberry playbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbeasleyatsmu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just wondering what convinced everyone in here to get the new IPad over the Playbook given...

(the IPad) JUST NOW caught up with playbooks RAM
playbook supports flash
playbook is half the price
playbooks processor clocks out to be faster(not much but still faster is faster)
playbook 6 axis gyroscope vs ipad(new gen's) 3 axis gyro
Same quality cameras (front and back)

Also you can root your playbook so you can have access to the android market (so lack of apps isn't a real argument)

I will admit that the bigger screen and retina display is nice but over twice as much in the price dept nice mehhhh

not to mention that the blackberry 3g+ is pegged for sometime in April which will have a 1.5 ghz processor, while that seems to be the only major change I have heard so far if they upgrade the screen and keep the price moderately low in what way does apple stand out as an elite tablet

Last edited:

blckz28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cat-dance-4.GIF

c.hack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
- I know RIM And Android fanboys love to compare hardware specs, but they are meaningless between 2 different OS'es. For example, an iPad 2 with 512MB is much faster than a Tegra 2 or Playbook tablet.
- Apps, apps and apps. Playbook apps are almost nonexistent in comparison, overpriced and poor quality. What good is having a $200 tablet if you can't do what you want with it?
- The new iPad has a much much much higher resolution and higher quality and larger display.

I love how the Android or RIM trolls point out the few meaningless specs their device is better at.

Plain and simple, the Playbook may be adequate hardware with very limited software. A better comparison would be to a $200 Kindle Fire. The Fire at least has a good app store behind it and the Playbook still loses.

Its not just my opinion, but the free market has decided the playbook is not even worth $200 because it is inferior to the $200 Kindle Fire.

If you want to compare meaningless specs, I can sell you a Celeron CPU clocked faster than your Playbook and 4GB RAM for $5

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
W

wbeasleyatsmu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
- I know RIM And Android fanboys love to compare hardware specs, but they are meaningless between 2 different OS'es. For example, an iPad 2 with 512MB is much faster than a Tegra 2 or Palybook tablet.
- Apps, apps and apps. Playbook apps are almost nonexistent in comparison, overpriced and poor quality. What good is having a $200 tablet if you can't do what you want with it?
- The new iPad has a much much much higher resolution and higher quality and larger display.

I love how the Android or RIM trolls point out the few meaningless specs their device is better at.

Plain and simple, the Playbook may be adequate hardware with very limited software. A better comparison would be to a $200 Kindle Fire. The Fire at least has a good app store behind it and the Playbook still loses.

Its not just my opinion, but the free market has decided the playbook is not even worth $200 because it is inferior to the $200 Kindle Fire.

If you want to compare meaningless specs, I can sell you a Celeron CPU clocked faster than your Playbook and 4GB RAM for $5

Yes, the iPad does have a better screen resolution and a larger display (I did indeed say that)
No, those aren't meaningless specs when comparing because of the os (if it's so easy to upgrade the cpu why doesn't apple have an i7)
Because, yes there is quite a large app market now with the availability to use the android app market on the playbook

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I bought my wife a Playbook, returning the favor as she bought me my iPad. While I haven't had too much opportunity to look it over, I was impressed with the obvious build quality, onboard speakers and display. The cameras might be much higher resolution than the iPad, but for some reason, video recording is inferior. I was impressed with the fact that the bezel is part of the working hardware of the machine, while being very unimpressed with the general lack of software.

I found it easy to load music on there, but had to resort to the Internet in order to download and install Blackberry Bridge, hardly an intuitive process, and what the hell RIM were thinking of shipping it without an email client I can't begin to guess.

My wife loves it. I have a colleague who has had one since day 1. He is equally impressed. I like my iPad, and use it alongside my iPhone. Horses for courses, I think. Hardware doesn't cut it alone, but then, neither does software.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Playbook is only appealing to the limited number of people who are locked into the RIM system. There is nothing wrong with it, but then there is nothing wrong with the Kindle Fire. It is all a matter of individual needs. Despite all the attempts to create drama about a few non-issues with the new iPad, it has an amazing impact on customers. A poll of new owners after almost two weeks of ownership, show 82% - Very Satisfied, 16% - Somewhat Satisfied, 2% - Somewhat Dissatisfied, and 0% - Very dissatisfied. Considering that these numbers are better than those for the oringinal iPad and iPad 2, says that Apple has done a good job of appealing to the consumers.

Hardware is important to the success of any electronics, but Apple blends the software and hardware to maximize efficiency. That means it can get more out of a smaller processor, thus consumming less power. People do not buy technical specifications, they buy good user experiences. An example is Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich. supposedly the latest and greatest Android OS. Sony has come out recommending against upgrading to this version due to the experiences other devices have with it. Tests shoes that it uses 20-30 Mb more in web browsers than does Gingerbread. Reading and writing operations to the data base can slow things down so much as to create stability and speed concerns. It also uses about 17% more power in standby mode, which can mean greatly reduced operation time. You can have a 4-core, 2Ghz processor, but if Apple can deliver a better experience with a 2-core, 1 Ghz processor, nobody will want the 2 Ghz processor.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes, the iPad does have a better screen resolution and a larger display (I did indeed say that)
No, those aren't meaningless specs when comparing because of the os (if it's so easy to upgrade the cpu why doesn't apple have an i7)
Because, yes there is quite a large app market now with the availability to use the android app market on the playbook

There have already been numerous complaints about the playbook crashing every time you try to load parallel apps from the android market. Even with android market available there are far fewer tablet specific apps for android compared to IOS. Also, interesting that RIM claims to be the king of email and calendar for business, yet both were just recently introduced into the playbook in February. Plus, lack of support from developers is a huge turn off for RIM, no HULU, and no NETFLIX. The biggest issue I see with any RIM product now is that they have dug themselves into such a huge hole they will not recover. RIM will be gone in a few years. They simply got lazy and lost control of the market they had dominated for years.

edwardallene

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
shop.pchappy.com.au
I am still currently using my Ipad2 and I can say that my Ipad gives me convenience with all the applications installed in my Ipad. I have 2 gadgets from apple and it gives me satisfaction from using this. Ipad has a better screen resolution than others.

Last edited by a moderator:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was the biggest blackberry fan for the longest time. And while I think the playbook is a nice tablet, and the QNX OS is a marvel I have to quit supporting it. RIM is in a spiral it will not get out of. Sorry to say! I hope QNX comes out somewhere better out of the ashes.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because, yes there is quite a large app market now with the availability to use the android app market on the playbook unquote

I am confused what does i7 have to do with a play book or iPad. And yes Apple has had i7 intel processors from the beginning and released them prior to windows......Just go to www.apple.com

One more thing....about playbook supports flash... Yes the original model yes however Adobe is no longer developing flash for ANY mobile platform which includes RIM, Android etc etc so what you have. Is not upgradable by Adobe please read.......

http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipad-news/53105-adobe-kills-flash-android-other-mobile-devices.html

altimax98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly I have not used a playbook. I've heard friends that have used them and while it's supposedly a good device, it sorely lacks in the software department. Yes you can use android apps on it but they are just glorified phone apps in most cases and that's why I've sold both of my android tablets. The specs can be fantastic, look at the HP Touchpad. It has a Snapdragon S3, 1GB ram and a decent screen and form factor equivalent to the iPad. But the software sucked on an otherwise nice device And it got abandoned. Cyanogenmod has done an amazing job porting Android 4.0.4 to it and it works 95% but there are still apps that don't work for it because it does not retain the standard android screen form factor. The playbook is the same thing, you can shoehorn anything in there, but it's not gonna run right.

Apple has a stellar product. They created a standard and benchmark for tablets. App creators build to one standard and the owners benefit because the apps are much better quality and guaranteed to work. That's just something Android has not put its finger on yet. They need to if they want the tablet market. But RIM should pack its bags, they are way to far behind, especially with WinMo tablets around the corner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
W

wbeasleyatsmu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not saying that it is a bad product I actually own an Ipad and it has been great but I got it as a gift. I'm just saying I would never pay the 600 dollars when there are so many products like the fire and like the playbook. I just question why so many people would pay the 600 when nobody can really say what makes the IPad a stand out product aside from they like their operating system. However, when Microsoft releases windows 8 tablets is that really going to be a strong argument? Apple were innovators but the fact is if someone were completely unbiased and walked into a best buy they would think "WOW, what makes that one worth twice as much?" and no one would have a direct answer.

parcas1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wbeasleyatsmu said:
I'm not saying that it is a bad product I actually own an Ipad and it has been great but I got it as a gift. I'm just saying I would never pay the 600 dollars when there are so many products like the fire and like the playbook. I just question why so many people would pay the 600 when nobody can really say what makes the IPad a stand out product aside from they like their operating system. However, when Microsoft releases windows 8 tablets is that really going to be a strong argument? Apple were innovators but the fact is if someone were completely unbiased and walked into a best buy they would think "WOW, what makes that one worth twice as much?" and no one would have a direct answer.

Until they used it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It can only be hoped that when Microsoft release Windows 8 tablets they are as thoroughly tested as Apple products are. Microsoft will have an uphill battle when they weigh into an already established market.

The numbers speak for themselves already. 80+% of iPad buyers are totally satisfied with their purchase. While it's true that there have been problems with the new iPad, forums such as this one are the place to go in order to find those problems. Stands to reason really, as people who are totally satisfied with their purchase are not looking for any help, and probably don't know, or care, that we exist.

What makes them worth twice as much? Future-proofing. Just about all computer systems are obsolete before you have the box open. iPads are not like that. We have users of the original iPad who still find them useful. There is little or no evidence that Apple are ignoring their earlier products. They are also, for the most part, usable straight out of the box, with little knowledge required to get them running.

The iPad is a consumer device. It works out of the box, it does what the manufacturer claims and it is good enough to do everything reasonably well. The onboard sound will not fill a room, but you can play music. You want hi-fi? Go buy a hi-fi system. You want home cinema? Same applies. The iPad will do it, but dedicated equipment will do it a hell of a lot better.

When CD supplanted the vinyl disc as a storage/playback medium for music it did not do it because it was a superior format. There are still people who claim that vinyl offers a far superior sound than CD. The point was that CD made things more convenient, and convenience is the key to mass marketing.

The Playbook was touted by RIM as a business tool that was somehow removed from the great unwashed, who could go and play with their toys, while the grown-ups used their Playbooks for "serious" purposes. That attitude has backfired on them. People want email, Skype, Angry Birds and Dragonvale. This time next year, I HOPE my wife's Playbook is still useful, and will use ALL Android software. i KNOW my iPad will still do what I want it to, with full support from Apple. That is the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts