What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini with Windows 7 - USB device not recognised

SomethingForKate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my shiny new iPad mini yesterday and am trying to connect it to a Windows 7 PC but cannot seem to get it to automatically detect. I get 'USB device not recognised' error and a message stating 'Device driver software was not successfully installed'.

It comes up in my Device Manager as an unknown device.

I've tried removing it and tying again, resetting the iPad and I've tried this one three separate Windows 7 PCs and I see the same error on each.

I've had a search and can't find this problem listed anywhere else and cannot find the drivers to download and install manually.

I use an iPhone 4S on the same machine with no issues and have never had this sort of issue with any device before.

Has anyone see this at all?

Thanks,
SFK

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You might have defective device or cable. I don't suppose you have another cable to try?

Have you tried using Itunes Wifi-Sync in General?

That's all I can think of based on what you have stated.

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The very few instances when I experienced this, I did these:

- Make sure Windows 7 is all up to date
- Open iTunes and update if necessary
- Plug iPad using usb
- If not recognized, unplug usb and plug again
- Give it like 30 seconds (you are waiting for that beep from iPad then you are good)

OP
S

SomethingForKate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I have done all of the above - applied all windows 7 updates, verified iTunes is up to date, unplugged, replugged iPad. Tried this after restarting PC, giving it time etc. You also can't WiFi sync until you've connected it with a cable at least once.

Alas, I don't have a spare cable to try it with as this is my first device with the new connector. Looks like I'll be going back to Apple with it :(

OP
S

SomethingForKate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha ha! Apple is everywhere but this new connector isn't! I have loads of 30 pin cables kicking about but this is my first device with the new connector.

aditya19897

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Hi I am no expert in Apple products, even I bought my very first IPad, 2 days back it was working first but today I had the same problem, I am currently using Windows 7

To solve the problem I simply connected my IPad Mini to my Windows 7 (The IPad Mini is switched off right now but the Windows 7 in on)
After the connection was made I just simply turned on my IPad Mini and then somehow it just recognized the device

Hope this helps you

idbvideo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had my phone be not recognised by Win 7. As it previously worked, it had to be the cable - I just gave the contacts a clean and it worked.

LariRudi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does PC "recognize" it?

Hi I am no expert in Apple products, even I bought my very first IPad, 2 days back it was working first but today I had the same problem, I am currently using Windows 7

To solve the problem I simply connected my IPad Mini to my Windows 7 (The IPad Mini is switched off right now but the Windows 7 in on)
After the connection was made I just simply turned on my IPad Mini and then somehow it just recognized the device

Hope this helps you

I'm having same problems, but this procedure doesn't seem to help; it does the "Synchronizing" [Geez, I guess that means that it "recognizes/acknowledges" it] but won't show Mini-iPad on "My Computer" when that icon is opened.

My exact dilemma is that I have Numbers on my Mini iPad and desktop PC, and Numbers on my Mini iPad, and I want to get my Mini iPad to read those Excel Files on my desktop............

Hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread, but it IS seeming NOT to recognize each other fully. It DOES Synchronize the music on iTunes, but I need to access that Excel via Numbers.

thx,

LarryR

OP
S

SomethingForKate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies folks. I spent an hour on the phone with Apple support who then decided simply to replace my iPad ... on which I'm writing this response. LarryR, I don't think you're having the same issue as your machine must be able to recognise the device in order to sync anything. Must be a Numbers issue.

SFK

NormanA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my IPAD 4. Strangely it connected to ITunes on my desk top but not my lap top. The problem was a missing device driver.
With my IPad connected to my lap top,I went to Control Panel, Devices and Printers, there I could see that an IPad was connected but had no driver associated with it. From that display I simply asked it to find the new device driver. Which it did and now all is fine.
NormanA

aditya19897

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having same problems, but this procedure doesn't seem to help; it does the "Synchronizing" [Geez, I guess that means that it "recognizes/acknowledges" it] but won't show Mini-iPad on "My Computer" when that icon is opened.

My exact dilemma is that I have Numbers on my Mini iPad and desktop PC, and Numbers on my Mini iPad, and I want to get my Mini iPad to read those Excel Files on my desktop............

Hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread, but it IS seeming NOT to recognize each other fully. It DOES Synchronize the music on iTunes, but I need to access that Excel via Numbers.

thx,

LarryR

Hi I am not sure what the problem is but synchronization in IPad means that your able to see your IPad when it is connected to your PC, when you start the iTunes(installed in your PC)

Synchronization means that your able to sync your IPad with your PC, this means that lets say
that I have 20 Songs in my PC and start iTunes
then I connect my IPad to my PC
Now my IPad should be visible in the iTunes App in my PC
Now if I click on the Sync Button in the iTunes then it should sync all the songs on my IPad to all the songs on my PC
this way now I have the same 20 songs in my IPad now

if you are able to perform this kind of sync then your PC is recognizing your IPad correctly, just don't know why it is not getting displayed in My Computer

if your not able to perform this kind of sync then you might want to update your iTunes

Also I don't think IPad or iTunes allow you to simply copy paste your contents from IPad TO PC or from PC TO IPad, you need certain Apps(depending on what you want to transfer) in your IPad if you wish to perform any copy paste operation

Hope this helps

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it will never show in "My Computer" as it is not a Windows device. You communicate with the iPad via iTunes. Period, no other way other than perhaps wifi syncing it.

Most reactions