What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini VS Surface Tablet

freeb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both iPad Mini and Surface Tablet are the hottest apps in the touch-screen tablet world. Just as the old saying "No mountain can accommodate two tigers", the competition between them is fierce. Here I just made a simple comparison between them.
Specs iPad Mini Surface
Screen Size 7.9 inches 10.6 inches
Resolution 1,024 x 768 pixels 1,366x768 pixels
Operating system iOS 6 Windows 8
Processor Dual-core A5 chip Quad-core NVIDIA Tegra (RT version)/Dual-core Intel Core i5 (Pro version)
Battery 10 hours 8 hours
Price $329 (32GB) $499 (32GB)

What your opinion about their differences? Which do you like better?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think a better comparison would be between the iPad4 and the Surface.

Anyone who is likely to be interested in a Surface is not so likely to be interested in a much smaller form factor.

That said, I think the mini is likely to be much more comfortable for one-handed operation.
The resolution of 1024x768 is what I'm used to on my iPad 2 so I don't think I'd care either way,
Windows would be the big turn-off for me. I've seen Windows 8 on laptops, and I think it looks hideous. Microsoft's Christmas present to Apple and Google.
Couldn't care less about what's under the hood. I'm only interested in how that translates into real-world use.
Battery life is of little consequence. I'll use it until it needs charging, then charge it.
Your price is for a 16Gb iPad mini, not a 32Gb model.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The good news is you only need the 16GB version to directly compare it to the 32GB Surface. Since the surface only had 16GB of memory for actual user apps and data.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The good news is you only need the 16GB version to directly compare it to the 32GB Surface. Since the surface only had 16GB of memory for actual user apps and data.

Sneaky. Thanks for pointing that out, Skull.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't wait for the first class action lawsuit over the fact it says 32GB but only 16GB is useable. Did they learn nothing from the hard drive lawsuits?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the Commodore 64. We had to suffer years of abuse from Sinclair fanboys (and in those days the fanboys actually were boys, us geeks hadn't grown up yet) because half of the RAM occupied the same address space as the ROMs and wasn't actually available for normal use.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Miss my C64 and Epyx fastload cartridge. Can't count how many games I cracked the protection on using that little thing and the rest button.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL. Remember little tricks like hidden characters in the cassette buffer? My C64 had a 6510 machine language monitor built in. As well as the almost obligatory reset switch.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still remember the hex addresses to most of the important memory segments because I hacked it so much 29 years ago. And now I can't tell you what I ate for dinner a week ago. LOL!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This 8-bit computers were great for teaching us stuff like hex, binary and Boolean logic. $033C was the location of he aforementioned cassette buffer. For some reason $02A7 also sticks in my mind, though I can't remember why now. I'm pretty sure it's 679 decimal, but I haven't bothered working it out.

Fun days indeed, and now look at us. Wondering which piece of equipment is slightly better than another, when both were the stuff of scifi dreams in 1984.

Edit: just had a look on Google. $02A7 to $02FF was an 89 byte area that was available for ML programs to run. That's why it stuck. SYS 679 was the code for activating whatever you had stuck there.

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good point about storage correct me if I wrong it is only a cut down version of windows 8 on the surface and supports only a few WINdows 8 apps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions