What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini or Nexus 7

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As long as don't don't expect to use a lot of tablet app, it will be fine. It is an excellent ereader and web reader. It fits in your hand well and is quite grippy. I don't talk uk pricing, but I think it is a good little tablet to own. I'm like those folks on Star Trek, I use tablets for everything.

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the App Store have a half decent supply of games? Basic games such as cut the rope and tetris and stuff?

Back on topic though I picked my nexus up for the first time in a few days this morning and realised how much I really missed it.. I think the whole nexus vs iPad mini is really down to preference.. Had I not had an iPad at all I'd of gone straight for the mini and loved it. Personally going from the retina display to then buying a newer apple device with a noticeable lower quality screen would have done my box in.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, there are games...not as many as on iOS...but there are plenty of them.

FastT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before I went to the iPad mini, I did own a Nexus 7. It is a nice device, but could not make me stick to it. The form factor of iPad mini is ideal for on the road use and the apps are ways better. The only point that goes to the Nexus 7 is the document handling as the apps are not sandboxed.
The display and handling of the iPad mini is so much better.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

StillYas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both and Nexus 7 is laggy a little still even after project butter and also the screen's touch sensitivity isnt all that great. Plus I find streaming on Apple products much smoother and eaaier than Android.

MrDoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not a Nexus, but I have the Kindle Fire and while it is a specialized Android, it left me unimpressed with Android and the Google market. So ipad mini it was for me.
The Nexus is great.. I have both.. I like to play with both.. very fun and interesting to compare them against each other. keeps me out of trouble..
Doug

OP
marcandsebe

marcandsebe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I was trying to make up my mind and played around with the Nexus 7, iPad mini and the Fire HD in my local store. I thought the Nexus was quite good, but I went to my website on it and tried to play an embedded YouTube video. It took ages just to load up. I gave up entirely with the Fire HD. Just trying to get the touch sensitive home button to pop up put me right off the thing. The iPad was so much better, very smooth and played my video. So I ordered one from Apple last night.

MrDoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mini in a flat second for me.... I have both.. however both are great.. just depends on what trips your trigger..

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to also decide on iPad Mini or Nexus 7 for a Christmas gift for my wife. The primary use for her will be video calls to our grandchildren while in Mexico.
Question: How well does Skype work on the mini?
Next Question: If her older Kindle finally breaks... How good is using the iPad mini for a reading device using the amazon kindle app?

Thank You

mesii23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to also decide on iPad Mini or Nexus 7 for a Christmas gift for my wife. The primary use for her will be video calls to our grandchildren while in Mexico.
Question: How well does Skype work on the mini?
Next Question: If her older Kindle finally breaks... How good is using the iPad mini for a reading device using the amazon kindle app?

Thank You

In my experience with it, Skype works great, I actually prefer it to FaceTime. Having owned both the Nexus and the mini, the Wifi seems stronger on the mini, so that helps with call quality.

The mini is also fantastic as a reading device, but the nexus isn't bad either. The mini has a brighter, more vibrant screen despite the fewer pixels, that's why I like it better for reading. I use iBooks and the Nook app and both perform well.

Sent from my iPad mini using Forum Runner

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank You, now I'm getting ever so closer to the purchase.

So, RE: Reading device... I assume that the mini will still be more difficult to read in bright sunlight sine the Kindle is so perfect in this regard (no glare)?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, in bright light tablets are harder to deal with....a real e-reader is best...

But the kindle apps makes it possible to read indoors on just about any device.

I have some screen shots from my mini and google nexus 7 below. There are two for the mini and just one for the nexus. The mini, with the smallest font, is too hard to read but if you soon the font two or three numbs is is fine. On the nexus, I can read it just fine on the smallest font, but the two apps are different so I don't attach any significant to what is programmed in for the smallest font. In either case, you do get more info on the screen at a readable font size. Of course, your eyes may be different than my so ymmv.

Attachments

• image-1077409985.jpg
    image-1077409985.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 316
  • image-400000026.jpg
    image-400000026.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 339
  • image-3680192355.jpg
    image-3680192355.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 303

xTyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vote: iPad Mini

(Read my other post that are descriptive about why... if need be)

Most reactions

Latest posts