What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini & iPhone synch

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For the past two days when I delete email from my iPad it doesn’t delete from my iPhone. I don’t recall changing anything. Can anyone help me?

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For the past two days when I delete email from my iPad it doesn’t delete from my iPhone. I don’t recall changing anything. Can anyone help me?
Check to see email is updating on the web. If you're using Apple's email, you can go to icloud.com to see if your email is updating. If Google or another service, go there. Once you know what happens there, you can desmine which device has the problem.
Check to see email is updating on the web. If you're using Apple's email, you can go to icloud.com to see if your email is updating. If Google or another service, go there. Once you know what happens there, you can desmine which device has the problem.
Thanks for the response to my question. Gmail on google vs. the gmail app is different. On google they have three classifications of emails. The app doesn’t. I’m really not sure how to proceed. If I delete an email on my iPad it still stays on my iPhone.

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’m not sure what’s going on now. Use the gamil app for my mail. When I go on google the mail is sorted into categories so it’s hard to do what you suggested.

My problem is that I delete opened emails in my gmail app on my iPad but it doesn’t delete from my iPhone. Not sure how to proceed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you using the Google Mail app on both devices? And are they up to date on both devices?

If so, after you make certain all important emails are present using a web browser, just delete and re-install the gmail app on both devices. Pay attention to any prompts along the way to make sure stuff only gets deleted off the iPad and the iPhone. As long as you don't delete email from the gmail account itself, everything will be restored when you re-enter the account information on the devices.

This sounds drastic, but it's a lot easier than trying to hunt down some minor setting or glitch.

If I miss understood and you are using Apple's Mail app with gmail, then you can get the same affect by removing and re-adding the gmail account on the device. Same caution when responding to prompts is suggested.

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you using the Google Mail app on both devices? And are they up to date on both devices?

If so, after you make certain all important emails are present using a web browser, just delete and re-install the gmail app on both devices. Pay attention to any prompts along the way to make sure stuff only gets deleted off the iPad and the iPhone. As long as you don't delete email from the gmail account itself, everything will be restored when you re-enter the account information on the devices.

This sounds drastic, but it's a lot easier than trying to hunt down some minor setting or glitch.

If I miss understood and you are using Apple's Mail app with gmail, then you can get the same affect by removing and re-adding the gmail account on the device. Same caution when responding to prompts is suggested.
I think I was erroneous about the app. It’s the standard mail app that’s inherent to Apple. Blue square with white envelope. So where do I go from here.

Also, thanks for helping. So many looked at my query but offered no so,ution.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Read everything before proceeding.

In Settings > Mail > Accounts delete your Google account. Open Mail to make sure it is gone, then go back to Settings and re-add the account. You'll need you email address and your Google account password at a minimum.

If you've enabled 2 factor authentication (2FA) on your Google accunt you'll need to re-authenticate the account using an Android device if available, or using your YouTube app on the other device. I'm pretty you need to be logged into your Google account in YouTube app for this to work. It may offer you the alternative of sending you a text to your phone number. If in doubt, carefully read the instructions at each prompt before proceeding.

I recommend doing this on the device you use for email least, first. That way you can limp by if for some reason you can't re-authenticate. Keep in mind you can always install the Google Mail app as a temporary (or permanent if you end up preferring it) solution.

I don't expect you'll have issues, but it's good to have a backup plan just in case.

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Read everything before proceeding.

In Settings > Mail > Accounts delete your Google account. Open Mail to make sure it is gone, then go back to Settings and re-add the account. You'll need you email address and your Google account password at a minimum.

If you've enabled 2 factor authentication (2FA) on your Google accunt you'll need to re-authenticate the account using an Android device if available, or using your YouTube app on the other device. I'm pretty you need to be logged into your Google account in YouTube app for this to work. It may offer you the alternative of sending you a text to your phone number. If in doubt, carefully read the instructions at each prompt before proceeding.

I recommend doing this on the device you use for email least, first. That way you can limp by if for some reason you can't re-authenticate. Keep in mind you can always install the Google Mail app as a temporary (or permanent if you end up preferring it) solution.

I don't expect you'll have issues, but it's good to have a backup plan just in case.
Well I did finally do that and it didn’t help. I have no idea what the issue is now. I just manually delete from my phone since I use my iPad more often.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of is that you've changed (or had changed) one of the two devices to use a POP3 account instead of IMAP. POP3 does not sync. It downloads and then either just leaves it on the server, or deletes it. Depending on how it's set and which device is used first the symptoms vary.

This is very unlikely since Google will almost always set you up with an IMAP account unless you go out of your way to set up POP3.

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I might have found the solution. In settings, under mail, the default account on my iPad was gmail but in my iPhone was iCloud. So I changed it yo gmail. Fingers crossed 🤞

Thanks for your help..

Most reactions

Latest posts